walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the awesome hill is also a cracking hill

the awesome hill is also a cracking hill

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 24/07/2021

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1180m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Postponed my walk here by a day as I didn't fancy a long drive through fog to get here. That decision worked out really well as I had few fog problems getting to the Wyvis car park.
Slightly soggy start to the ascent through damp vegetation and drizzly mist but it didn't take too long on the excellent path to get above the cloud top.
I was amazed by the apparent extent of the inversion and by the huge array of peaks visible on the horizon. They did not seem so far away as expected either, unless I was experiencing one of those atmospheric lens effects.
Didn't get to the summit for sunrise but Glas Leathad Beag would have obscured the effect I was looking for so no loss really and there was plenty besides that to occupy my eyeballs.
Pleasant stroll along the summit ridge followed by a diversion north for a peek into Coire Mor. Well worth the small amount of extra effort to get there but I didn't hang about with the sun already warming things up considerably.
Met a few folk on the descent and encountered the first midges of the day near the bottom.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Didn't take too long to emerge out of the slightly drizzly murk.

Little Wyvis and the moon catch the eye to the south west.

Some short rocky sections on the path.

The extent to which the view west takes in Ben Hope to the North to the hills west of Inverness is quite mind-boggling as is the unexpectedly extensive inversion, seemingly running from coast to coast.

It is an excellent path.

An Cabar.

The way ahead.

Deer on An t-Socach.

Coire Mor.

The awesome hill is also a cracking hill.

Back at the summit.

The inversion that seems to extend all the way to the west coast.

The mottled cloud generator.

Ready to descend.
Last edited by litljortindan on Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: the awesome hill is also a cracking hill

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Nice pics. :D
Sunset tripper

Re: the awesome hill is also a cracking hill

Postby litljortindan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice pics. :D

Thanks! Views certainly exceeded my expectations.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland