walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

nd two slow hikers

nd two slow hikers

Postby patricialyon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:50 am

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 25/07/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My old college friend and are are in the category of slow walkers. We are 59 and 61 years old and take the attitude that it doesn;t atters how long it takes or even if we don't reach the top; we are still enhancing our lives in these beautiful mountains.
Today we reached the top!

We knew it was going to be a hot one so reached Inverglas car park by 7.4o and we walking by 7.55am.
The route is easy to follow from both the walkhighlands website or an OS map and we made our way up the long road past the recent additional hydro installation works.

The morning was warm despite the low cloud and we took our time with light packs and plenty of water.
The first section of paved steps is feels relentless but up we went and soon started to gain height and meet the first of many rocky outcrops and false summits (I think I counted 7 of the latter).
There was no view due to the cloud inversion but as we got higher we were motivated by comments of those starting to come down of the clear view of mountain peaks around us, popping through the cloud.

There was one bigger scramble near the top but I pushed through my vertigo and eventually we got to the top taking 4 hours. We are slow! This is mainly due to my poor lung capacity after having swine flu a few years ago. It doesn't stop me though!
Path was excellent the whole way.

The way down was much hotter and as always I was very glad I liked to start early. I wondered what the descent would be like on these steep rocky slopes but there was not too much bum sliding and we made our way steadily back to the road and the lng walk back to the car park.

Very enjoyable day. Loch Lommond was glistening despite the saddness of several deaths in the water during this past simmering week.

A good climb for those wanting to move from easy paths to something with a bit of a challenge.
patricialyon
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland