walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean. Mustn't grumble.

Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean. Mustn't grumble.

Postby weedavie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:10 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean

Date walked: 25/07/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 515m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The hell I won't. Because of horses I was in Dingwall, and while they rode round the Black Isle, I thought I'd see what was within bike reach. Two years ago I proved Wyvis from the east was worse than Wyvis from the west so I'd exhausted that source of pain.

Instead I thought I'd grab a couple of Grahams I hadn't heard of, Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean and Beinn nan Eun. The cycle in was tough, between Dingwall and Evanton the back road goes to 100 metres then back to the sea, and then Evanton to Loch Glass is like going up a wall. Going back in the afternoon, I was whizzing down thinking "How did I get up this?" I was knackered when I left my bike a couple of kilometres beyond Wyvis Lodge where the track steepens. I could have got another kilometre out of the new Hydro track, but it would have been hard work.

Mercifully the haar had kept me cool till I had reached the loch but it had cleared and I was baking. The clegs were swarming big style. I changed from shorts into joggers which didn't lead to overheating but gave me a little protection against ticks. The path up the burn was intermittent but one corner I cut was a waste of time. Unbelievably, on a clear day I had to use a compass to locate the position of the summit.

The mighty top only appeared when I was within two kilometres.
pic 1 650.jpg
Brooding presence
I'd chosen to do Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean first because with the heat and the clegs I couldn't think I'd persuade myself to go on from Beinn nan Eun, but I might just visit it on the way back.

The summit was pleasant as a slight breeze was discouraging the insects and there was a good, if hazy, view all round.
pic 2 650.jpg
Nice beach, nasty hags
I didn't like the look of the peat hags beyond Loch nan Amhaichean, but I did like look of Carn Chuinneag, which I must visit some time.
pic 3 650.jpg
Strangely appealing
My old Corbett book says the twin peaks look good but then doesn't have a picture at all. I gave into knackered and started retracing my steps. Beinn nan Eun looked reasonably easy, a steep start and then a long ridge, but I wasn't feeling up to 300 metres ascent. The Grahams book says it's not as pretty as Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean but I'd like to differ.
pic 4 650.jpg
A better bet
Anyway the clegs were back in action as I reached the glen and I was grumbling. There was a recent correspondence about earworms. With Jim Steinman dying recently, I've been playing a bit of Meatloaf. I could have done with stepping out to Paradise by the Dashboard Light. Instead I was haunted by the leaden Two out of Three Ain't Bad.

Back at the bike, I was feeling guilty about having chucked it with just a four hour walk. But the total cycle was at least that again. The cycle from Evanton to Dingwall is a long shallow climb and I'd a tail wind, so that was brilliant. One last whine. I'd stopped in Evanton and picked up some beer to quaff outside the B&B. I hadn't had my glasses on so when I came to open it I was disappointed to see it was a US craft beer and 5%. Then I was wondering how an American craft beer could be imported and sold for £1.75. I read the small print. It had been brewed by Marston's in Wolverhampton, even though Portland Maine was big on the label. With a shower and a seat in the sunshine I supped it and got over my angst.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean. Mustn't grumble.

Postby prog99 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 pm

You could have done Wyvis from the south, mind you the hill you need to cycle up would probably have finished you!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland