walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It was just meant to be Beinn Mheadhoin from the west ...

It was just meant to be Beinn Mheadhoin from the west ...

Postby gld73 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin via the Shelter Stone

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 14/07/2021

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 28.6 km

Ascent: 1700m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done the 3 munros at Creag Pitridh the day before, I thought my legs might not be up to a multi munro walk today. Forecast was particularly good for the Cairngorms though, so I decided it was the ideal day for Beinn Mheadhoin, doing the route from Cairngorm ski centre as it means a much shorter drive for me than driving all the way round to Linn of Dee. 19km and 1560m of ascent seemed plenty ....

...But I got to Beinn Mheadhoin in good time and saw another big hill nearby. Got the map out and checked - Derry Cairngorm? Excellent! Another one I'd thought I'd have to do from Linn of Dee, but could add on today before returning the same way...

...Only I then got to Derry Cairngorm and the thought of going down to Loch Avon only to go back up the steep path the other side didn't really appeal ... and a circular walk is always nice ...so again the map came out and heading back over Ben Macdui looked good both on paper and on the ground ...

So my 1 munro there and back 19km walk ended up as a 3 munro 28.6km circular walk. And was a brilliant day out :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8123.JPG
Due to the funicular railway repair works ongoing, the walk started off to the right of the Cairngorm Ski Centre buildings, but a path has been put in to still enable walkers to head up to the Fiacaill a' Coire Chais ridge

APDC8124.JPG
Joining the path up the Fiacaill a' Coire Chais ridge, you get the views back down to the ski centre and Loch Morlich

APDC8126.JPG
Once at the cairn I thought about nipping left up Cairn Gorm, but decided to leave it thinking at that time I'd be coming back this way - so instead I took the path straight on, heading towards Beinn Mheadhoin, its tors already visible

APDC8127.JPG
First view of Loch Avon as I started heading down the steep path towards it

APDC8128.JPG
I forgot to look for the path crossing the burn earlier and heading diagonally across the hillside, but it wasn't too much of a longer walk just heading down to the loch side and following the worn path along from there towards the Shelter Stone crag end of Loch Avon

APDC8129.JPG
Looking over to the boulders, one of which is the Shelter Stone. Not much of a detour to visit it, so I did.

APDC8130.JPG
The Shelter Stone. Took a peak in, no residents in the middle of the morning not surprisingly.

APDC8133.JPG
Back on the path heading up, view north east down Loch Avon. No paddle boarders making it up here! I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time ...

APDC8136.JPG
Having left the path and headed up the steep slopes towards Beinn Mheadhoin it was a nice view looking back down on Loch Etchachan. Hadn't been thinking about Ben Macdui behind it at this stage.

APDC8137.JPG
There are a few impressive tors on the way to the summit tor (centre ahead)

APDC8140.JPG
Beinn Mheadhoin's summit is the top of this tor. It's a pretty easy scramble from the other side.

APDC8141.JPG
From the top of the tor looking back along the plateau to Ben Macdui and, on the left, Derry Cairngorm. It was around about this time I started thinking it didn't look too far away.

APDC8144.JPG
Bynack More lies to the north

APDC8145.JPG
Back along the plateau and just starting on the path which runs down to the outflow of Loch Etchachan I got the better view of Derry Cairngorm on the left. A lovely day, plenty time to add it on as a detour and come back (again, still not thinking about Ben Macdui on the right there)

APDC8146.JPG
Took me about 1hr 20 mins to get to Derry Cairngorm's rocky summit from Beinn Mheadhoin's summit. 2 cairns, I visited both to be on the safe side.

APDC8147.JPG
Ben Macdui

APDC8148.JPG
Cairn Toul and Angel's Peak further over to the west

APDC8149.JPG
Looking back over to the previous hill, Beinn Mheadhoin

APDC8152.JPG
It was whilst heading back off Derry Cairngorm's summit that I had a re-think about going back the same way I'd come. Still had plenty energy in my legs to do the ascent up to Ben Macdui and mentally that felt more appealing than going all the way back down to Ben Avon only to have to go steeply back up the other side. So I followed a bit of a faint path which branched off towards Ben Macdui, lost it for a bit, then rejoined the main path higher up. On the way to that, got this nice view, down Glen Luibeg I think?

APDC8153.JPG
Didn't stick to the path once I found it, as I needed to restock on water. These patches of melting snow were perfectly placed to refill my bottles with the cold water running down from them. Also saw a couple of snow buntings near here, though my photo of them came out as a blurry pile of rocks.

APDC8157.JPG
Summit of Ben Macdui - trig point and viewfinder. Never arrived at it from this side before.

APDC8159.JPG
It was around 5pm on a nice summer evening, but no-one else around now

APDC8161.JPG
Decision time near Lochan Buidhe - head over to do Cairn Gorm (the summit ahead in this shot) and go back down my initial ascent route, or go the Miadan Creag an Leth-choin route to avoid retreading the route by the funicular repair works. I chose the latter.

APDC8164.JPG
Cairn Toul and The Angel's Peak across the Lairig Ghru

APDC8165.JPG
Coire an Lochain

APDC8166.JPG
Almost back at the ski centre car park, one last look back at the northern corries after a brilliant day out
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: It was just meant to be Beinn Mheadhoin from the west ..

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 pm

Nice one. A great route. More scenic doing these hills from the north I think, and Loch Avon is a spectacular setting.
I never fancied sheltering under the shelter stone though. :shock:

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby NeepNeep » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 am

Great trip and a nice surprise to add the other two
NeepNeep
Stravaiging

Munros:105   Corbetts:28
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:79   

Postby Coop » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:54 pm

Brilliant G well in. Never visited the shelter stone myself- need to.
Had one of the best days ever in winter on Beinn mheadhoin. The summit tor was like a sheet of ice but I managed to get on top
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am

Lovely :D We did this very route in reverse, back in times when my knees could handle 1500+ m of ascent. I will never forget the steep climb from Loch Avon back to the Cairngorm, very tiring at the end of the long day but well worth it. The Shelter Stone is a spot of beauty, must go back some time!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks for lots of great memories from these photos.

That was a pretty epic walk you didn't without meaning to! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby gld73 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:37 am

Thanks for the replies all - yes, it was a really great day out, reminded me just how good the Cairngorms can be in great weather!
And good to finally see the Shelter Stone .... it always reminds me of a couple of young, fit guys who were brilliantly kitted out for a trip to the mountains in all brand new, top branded gear, made it to the Shelter Stone in winter conditions to stay the night ... and discovered it was literally a big stone to shelter under, not a hostel or bothy as they'd thought. They had a miserable night before being helicoptered out the next morning (Probably not the best use of the search & rescue helicopter?!) I did ask them how they could know about the Shelter Stone, travel all the way up from the south of England specifically to do winter walking in the Cairngorms and stay at the Shelter Stone, and yet not know what it was .... :crazy:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland