walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Anutha day, an Utha Glenfinnan Corbett

Anutha day, an Utha Glenfinnan Corbett

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Utha

Date walked: 12/07/2021

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 760m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Woke up this morning and decided that I wasn't coming home. Not yet. Maybe later. Who knows!!?? :lol:

It's one of the great pleasures of the school summer holidays - getting your head down in a tent somewhere amongst the hills on a Sunday evening and waking up on a Monday morning and going for another hill walk! :D After Sgurr Ghuibhsachain and Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn yesterday I decided to stay local and drive the short distance west along the A830 through Glenfinnan to the roadside parking spot just over the Allt Feith a'Chatha. Destination - the Corbett of Sgurr an Utha.

Luna had been limping a bit on Saturday morning when she first emerged from my tent. Then, as now, it seemed to be the pad on her right rear leg that was causing her a problem. She had developed a bit of a sore spot on the same pad after doing The Brack and Cnoc Coinnich back in May so I was now wondering if she had a particular weakness of some sort on that pad. She had seemed to walk it off on Saturday on the walk back to Inverie and the rest of the day was pretty much down time. It hadn't appeared to bother her yesterday but she was holding it a bit gingerly this morning. I wondered if we might not get a walk in today, or if we might need to actually come home but I thought I'd start of up the Sgurr an Utha access track for a bit at least and see how it went.

Parked up just west of the bridge, we walked the short distance back along the road to the track off to the left heading into the forestry. If Luna's pad was bothering her, she wasn't letting on. She had the scent of another hill day in her nostrils and she was literally straining at the leash! :lol:

IMG_1413.JPG
Reaching the top of the short section of forestry

We took the track off to the right just before the quite modern looking concrete bridge built over two massive blue pipes in the stream. This lead us up into the coire of the Allt an Utha before taking a sharp hairpin bend to the right and coming to a sudden stop on the slopes of Druim na Brein-choitle.

IMG_1416.JPG
It wisnae me, honest! I just found him like this!

IMG_1418.JPG
Into the coire of the Allt an Utha

IMG_1420.JPG
Sgurr an Utha from the hairpin bend

After a short sharp pull up pathless slopes the gradient soon eased and we enjoyed that great pleasure of a day on the hill, what Cameron McNeish refers to as the "high level promenade", across a series of rocky outcrops and between little lochans adorned with bog cotton and various other forms of flora.

IMG_1421.JPG
Across Loch Shiel to memories of yesterday

IMG_1422.JPG
A rocky and watery high level promenade

IMG_1423.JPG
A wee pause on the promenade

IMG_1425.JPG
Bog cotton framing Sgurr an Utha

IMG_1428.JPG
Sgurr an Utha from the next lochan

IMG_1432.JPG
South west to the Moidart hills

IMG_1433.JPG
More Moidart

IMG_1434.JPG
Closing in on another Ronnie

As I reached the bealach between Fraoch -bheinn and my target of Sgurr an Utha, the views north east towards Streap and the Glenfinnan Munros began to open up and brought back their own fond memories of another summer holiday hill expedition from many moons ago.

IMG_1436.JPG
Sgurr Thuilm and Streap

IMG_1438.JPG
A more fulsome view of Sgurr Thuilm and Streap

IMG_1439.JPG
Summit ahoy!

IMG_1440.JPG
Sgurr nan Coireachan, Sgurr Thuilm and Streap

I paused for lunch at the summit, accompanied by the first of the bottles of the Knoydart Brewery ales. I was in two minds about whether to tag on the Graham of Glas-charn or whether to leave it for another day. As I sat and took in the view to the west of the summit of Sgurr an Utha, I became more and more inclined towards leaving it for another day and I began to ponder ways of combining it with Meith Bheinn and a closer inspection of Loch Beoraid.

IMG_1441.JPG
Loch Beoraid sandwiched between Glas-charn to the south and Meith Bheinn to the north

IMG_1442.JPG
Sgurr Thuilm and Streap

IMG_1447.JPG
Luna feeling the pace?

IMG_1449.JPG
Just an Utha Ronnie

I headed west from the summit still not entirely with my mind made up. I decided to drop down over Sidhean Mor and take stock when I got to the stream and the path shown on my 1:50K sheet.

IMG_1451.JPG
Between Sgurr an Utha and Sidhean Mor

IMG_1454.JPG
Across the long ridge sweeping up from Meall Coire na Saobhaidh to Sgurr nan Coireachan at the head of Coire Odhar Mor, with Sgurr Thuil off to the right

IMG_1455.JPG
South west towards Moidart

IMG_1457.JPG
Last look back to the Glenfinnan Munros

IMG_1458.JPG
Back to Sgurr an Utha with Streap peeking out

IMG_1459.JPG
Glas-charn and Loch Beoraid

IMG_1462.JPG
Descending to a likely looking dooking spot - Luna is off like the clappers

IMG_1464.JPG
Two feet and a heid

IMG_1466.JPG
Shadow on Sgurr a'Mhuidhe

Down at the bealach, the stream turned out to be real, the path shown on my map less so, leaving me with a rough old plod of a kilometre or two back to the little dam where I hooked up again with the track that would lead me back down to the A830 and the car.

IMG_1467.JPG
No path to see here - move along!

IMG_1474.JPG
Luna eyeing up another dip in the dam!

IMG_1477.JPG
Glas-charn from the dam

IMG_1481.JPG
A final dip in the Allt Feith a'Chatha

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Anutha day, an Utha Glenfinnan Corbett

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:22 pm

Hope Luna's paw is ok. Nice loop - can remember camping at the summit when up there for the corbetts but just went straight down with the heavier pack - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 pm

I enjoyed this walk though didn't quite get the feeling of a promenade. It seems to have views that get better and better all the way round to the summit. I cut off south west from there which, in retrospect, was a mistake though still interesting.
Isn't there a Paul McCartney song about this hill too?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby ere1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi colleague Graeme,

Thank you for your amazing walk report. Being a teacher has advantages, even in the Netherlands. :lol: Sgurr an Utha is a versatile wee hill. It is also on my to-do list. If I get the chance to go back to Scotland, I'd like to combine this Corbett with the hidden Loch Beoraid.

Cheers

Peter
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby kevsbald » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 pm

The photo of the feet and Luna in the pool 👍
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland