walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clegs, Midges & Thorns

Clegs, Midges & Thorns

Postby martin1909 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 24/07/2021

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 10.14 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I headed out for only my second Munro of the year with my partner and her family. Having heard mixed reviews about this walk I wasn’t sure what to expect. My dad who has been up twice says that it's a cracker of a day out but going by some of the walk reports already published I could see that this mountain isn’t everyone’s favourite.

We parked at the campsite at the start of the walk and began the very steep initial ascent. The growth around the path at this part was very thick and made for an exciting walk through what can only be described as a scene from Jurassic Park.

IMG_2097.JPG
The thicket

IMG_2098.JPG
The rocky path up

We got our first views of our departure point about halfway up this initial climb as the brush thinned. Personally, I didn’t mind this part as much as I prefer a steep climb rather than a shallow gradual one. We stopped for a quick photo and got back underway. The remainder of this first section of the walk was steep but enjoyable with some stunning views of the creek down below.

IMG_2101.JPG
Looking down to the campsite carpark

IMG_2102.JPG
The river creek running down the slopes

IMG_2103.JPG
Ladder helping climb the fence (notice the DIY dog hole in the fence to the right)

Once we reached the top we began the walk along the relatively flat ground up to Lochan Beinn Chabhair with a little snack stop on the way. The paths here we found to be quite good and easily followable although a bit boggy in places. There was some low cloud clinging onto the high tops thus our view of the destination was shrouded but not to worry as this would burn off later in the day.

IMG_2107.JPG
The cloudy tops

Upon reaching Lochan Beinn Chabhair the cloud burnt away and it was time to lather on the first sun cream of the day. It was also a good time to get some midge repellent on as the clouds of them had been getting denser and denser. We began our second notable ascent of the day from the lochan up to the summit. As the cloud continued to clear the views were stunning.

IMG_2110.JPG
The view from one of our many snack stops

IMG_2114.JPG
And another...

After about an hour of upwards walking the first decent sighting of the summit was before our eyes. A few people on the way down however had told us to be weary of the false summits we would encounter on the way up. With this in mind we motored on knowing we were reaching our end goal.

IMG_2115.JPG
First sight of the summit

IMG_2118.JPG
A roucky mound between us and the top

After another while we finally reached the very short flat walk leading to the summit (and when I say short, I mean short). Time for some well-earned refreshments.

IMG_2121.JPG
Looking back just before the summit

IMG_2124.JPG
Reaching the top

After a bite to eat we were fuelled and ready to head back down. The walk back down to Lochan Beinn Chabhair was done in no time but as we trekked over the flattish ground leading back to the steep part at the beginning of the walk the time began to drag as the hot summer sun drained the last of our energy. We made it to the top of the final descent though and could almost feel the soft seats in the car caressing our backsides. As it turns out however the final part of this walk, the descent down the very steep part proved to be the most challenging part. Add to it the thorn bush scratches and numerous clegs (which I was lucky enough not to be bit by bit) bites some of us were getting our skins were a mosaic of scratches and bite marks.

We did come across some wildlife on the way down, numerous small frogs most notably, there were loads of them!

IMG_2776.jpg
A small frog on the way back down

After a long day we reached the car. Make no mistake we were glad to be back but it was a day we all thoroughly enjoyed and can’t wait for the next one!!!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland