walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ending in Cullen (Moray Coastal Trail) and Bin of Cullen

Ending in Cullen (Moray Coastal Trail) and Bin of Cullen

Postby gld73 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 am

Route description: Buckie to Cullen

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bin of Cullen

Date walked: 27/07/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been doing the Moray Coast Trail sections west to east, and just had the final stretch into Cullen to do - not quite the whole "stage" of Buckie to Cullen, as I'd continued further east than Buckie on the previous leg, continuing on that time to near Findochty. That meant I just had from that point to Cullen to do today; a short enough stretch that I could easily do it as a round trip walk from Cullen and then add on the sub2k of Bin of Cullen while I was in the area.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8191.JPG
I didn't have an early start, so made it through to Cullen around lunchtime/early afternoon. A warm, sunny Saturday, so the beach car park was pretty full, but managed to get parked in it.

APDC8194.JPG
Headed west out of the car park, past the public toilets (run by volunteers, so I was happy to do the text donation after using them at the start and end of the day!) and on to the beach.

APDC8195.JPG
Didn't have to be far along the beach before the main crowd was left behind (this looking back to the car park and village)

APDC8196.JPG
At the west end of the beach I had a very slight scramble over rocks for a short distance to get round to this spot, as my outward walk was when the tide was right in (no such issues on the return walk with the tide out). Again, this photo taken looking back in the direction of Cullen.

APDC8197.JPG
All along this stretch of coast with its coves, beaches and harbours, the water looked beautifully clear today

APDC8199.JPG
"The Whale's Mouth" rock feature

APDC8200.JPG
The path climbs up on to the cliff tops, a good, clear path all the way

APDC8201.JPG
Plenty places to sit and admire the views on this walk, though not all the benches are quite as colourful as this one :)

APDC8202.JPG
Approaching Bow Fiddle Rock from the Cullen side you don't see the arch at first...

APDC8206.JPG
...but then it comes into sight better

APDC8205.JPG

APDC8208.JPG
Portknockie Harbour, a few paddle boarders and sea kayakers using it today, in addition to some swimmers in the harbour lido

APDC8209.JPG
It's a clear cyclepath and footpath all the way between Portknockie and Findochty

APDC8210.JPG
Coming down into Findochty. It was amazing to see such nice beaches so quiet on a hot weekend in the school holidays.

APDC8211.JPG
This small beach further along in Findochty was almost like a private beach for the couple of families there, and another easy-to-access launch point for paddle boards and kayaks ....

APDC8220.JPG
Findochty Harbour

APDC8213.JPG
...as was another beach, the one in Findochty Harbour busy with paddle boarders (...though when I say 'busy', I mean by the standards of small Moray Coast villages ...!)

APDC8214.JPG
Just past the harbour and nice looking pub, the trail passes through a small caravan park (tourers and a small number of statics, but a couple of tents too), a lovely location for a wee campsite even if the coastal trail does go right down the road in it. At the end of the caravan park, the path continues up, looking back to Findochty in this view, though the caravan park is tucked away out of sight.

APDC8215.JPG
The route is clear, but Moray Coast Trail waymakers are along the route at points where you might need to go up / down / left / right from the way you were heading

APDC8217.JPG
The path skirts the edge of a golf course and I knew I was close to the point I'd reached last time when I saw this hole right on the coast.

APDC8218.JPG
When I reached the point where the path headed down above this cove it was where I'd got to last time walking from Spey Bay. Time to sit on a bench and have a sandwich in the sun before the walk back to Cullen.

APDC8219.JPG
View across the golf course to Buckie

I then retraced my steps all the way back along the same route to the beach car park at Cullen, but still had a few hundred metres of the Moray Coast Trail to do from there as it officially ends in the town square.
APDC8193.JPG
Back at the eastern end of the beach car park, I took the footbridge over the Burn of Cullen and walked along the seafront

APDC8222.JPG
The road then takes a sharp right to go uphill towards the village centre, giving a view back along the seafront

APDC8225.JPG
End of the Moray Coast Trail at Cullen town square. It's been a really enjoyable route with some lovely coastal scenery, I'll happily do sections again!

APDC8227.JPG
Rather than just go straight back to the car the same way, I took a wander through Cullen and got different views of its viaducts

APDC8228.JPG
It looked from my OS map like there was a route through to Bin of Cullen via a bridge in the grounds of Cullen House. I walked down the driveway, but then signs were up at the entrance saying it was private and grounds could only be accessed on 2 specified afternoons a week. It would have added a few kilometres on to the walk if I'd done the hill from here, but I wasn't too bothered, I decided to spend a bit of extra time wandering around the village instead.

APDC8229.JPG
Old parliamentary border marking stone

APDC8230.JPG
Information board on the way up to Castle Hill, the viewpoint with the flag on top visible from most of the town.

APDC8231.JPG
Castle Hill

APDC8232.JPG
Looking down to the west end of Cullen with the beach car park and beach

APDC8233.JPG
Bin of Cullen. Still need to nip up there before I head home!

APDC8234.JPG
Cullen harbour - tide out now.

APDC8235.JPG
The route along the top of the viaducts is a cycle path now, view back to Castle Hill as I made my way back to the car

Bin of Cullen

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd originally thought I'd do Bin of Cullen from Cullen itself, but as I'd had a late start to the day, and my with initial failure to find a way through to the hill via Cullen House, I decided just to drive round and do the quick way up the forestry tracks from the south.
APDC8238.JPG
As it was evening by now, I just wanted to go up Bin of Cullen by the shortest route, so parked here (start point in the WalkHighlands route description for this hill). Room for 4 or 5 cars parked carefully without blocking the gate, though just one other when I was there.

APDC8239.JPG
Good clear track all the way - just as well, wouldn't have fancied thrashing my way through the head high bracken

APDC8240.JPG
Lovely viewpoint back down to Cullen, but such a shame to see the viewfinder smashed up

APDC8241.JPG
Trig point at the top as well

A really enjoyable day all round - after a big day in the Cairngorms the day before I hadn't fancied anything too strenuous, but I also didn't want to waste the great weather ... so this combination of a lovely coastal walk and a wee hill was just perfect :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland