walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strone Hill

Strone Hill

Postby bparker7 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:00 pm

Route description: Strone Hill, Kilmun

Date walked: 31/07/2021

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great little hill found in Killin.

Was looking for hills to do around the Argyll and Bute area as I’m down in Dunoon a lot for my partners family. Came across Strone Hill when looking at a map of various hills in the area.

The start of the walk was pretty nice with a decent path. Once you reach the forestry path when you take a sharp left turn up it’s a very narrow path but still very manageable.

Then you get hit with a steep section which is a little killer to say the least. From there it’s pretty much a very mild climb to the top with some bits that flatten out.

Overall the walk was good and on the way down it was a matter of flying down the hill, took us no time to reach the bottom. No issues with midges surprisingly.

You can even see Ben Lomond on a good visibility day in the distance. It was a great walk and was a great wee reminder to why I miss being in the hills. First hill in over 10 months, so plenty of practice is needed before I head of for my Munro bagging again.
Attachments
132A19C5-DE63-4828-AC66-E5F4E935041C.jpeg
4988D01B-2408-45DA-A71F-D7E524BAB9AA.jpeg
bparker7
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland