walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stairway to Heaven - Ben Vorlich

Stairway to Heaven - Ben Vorlich

Postby Walkies999 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 pm

Date walked: 01/07/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 970m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of my few Munros bagged to date is Ben Vane so I knew the road to Ben Vorlich well and walked on full of confidence on a pleasant summer morning, overcast and cool and lovely.

Was a little disappointed to discover there is a large construction project underway along the road to Coiregrogan but needs must I suppose. Found the path just short of the Dam and started up the hill, advertised as very steep and no lie. It went on for ever and I was fairly sure I'd fell asleep and been transported to the slopes of Everest - I fully expected to meet Zeus at the top.

After 90 minutes of relentless climbing (yes, I am unfit) I reached the top, fully enclosed in cloud and rather cold & wet. However, one more munro ticked off the list :o

On the way back I met about 100 hundred people (I start early) including some hilarious comments about the steep ascent, and one woman shouting "What fresh hell is this???" which made me laugh.

No matter the torture of ascent, trembling leg muscles and being robbed of the view at the top it is simply the best way to spend your day - I love it.
Walkies999
Hill Bagger

Munros:29   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland