walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fionn Bheinn - five star fun, complete with piper and pool!

Fionn Bheinn - five star fun, complete with piper and pool!

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:05 pm

Route description: Fionn Bheinn, Achnasheen

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 20/07/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fionn Bheinn, a hill that for me was absolutely brilliant fun, and turned into a bit of a social event!

My husband was away for the day, so I picked this one as it's very easy and safe and he wouldn't worry about me falling off it or getting lost. Also it's only an hour's drive from home. I wasn't in a particular rush as the forecast was for the cloud to lift around noon, so I had a good breakfast and arrived at Achnasheen about 11 and set off through the well-marked gate..... just in case there was any doubt where to go.....
IMG_3123.jpg
No doubt where to go!

After passing some sheep I started to climb, up the well worn path along the burn. You can't go wrong really!
IMG_3127.jpg
Path by the burn

IMG_3130.jpg

At this point it was kind of grey, but clearing - the views were certainly good and improving all the time...
IMG_3131.jpg
Views back down

Catching up with a couple of guys ahead...
IMG_3132.jpg
One of them has BAGPIPES!!

I eventually caught up with a couple of guys who had started out just before me, and as we drew level with the Graham across the other side of the burn, I decided to head out across the Uncharted Bog, in search of a path that might lead towards the summit. Actually, it wasn't too boggy due to the severe lack of rain recently!

IMG_3133.jpg
Setting out into Uncharted Bog

The guys decided to stick with the burn a bit longer - later on it was clear I'd found the easier route, as they arrived at the top an hour later than me and had hit some boggy ground on the way. I was lucky, and easily picked up a decent path, climbing steadily, cloud thinning, until suddenly, there I was at the edge, looking at this enormous drop and a wonderful vista, and the sun had burned through to leave a sparkling day with just the tops dipped in cloud that was thinning all the time.
IMG_3143.jpg
Woohoo! what a view!

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Incredibly, the summit point could be seen now, up to the left - no false summits and no difficulties, and sooner than I had expected. Just two hours from the car, there I was!
IMG_3147.jpg
Summit ahoy!

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg
The summit trig point

Already there were some other folk there, a family with a picnic and a drone (not for too long, phew). Another family soon arrived, on holiday from Glasgow, with three children. I had the luxury of a photograph at the summit that I hadn't had to take myself!

IMG_3150.jpg
No selfies today!

We all sat around eating our picnics in the sun, plagued only by the clegs that drove us all crazy...... I was glad to be wearing my insect repellent shirt! The little horrors bite me through my leggings, my socks, but not through this shirt....

I munched my way through one of my own cucumbers, 2 duck eggs and a heap of Quorn Picnic Eggs. Cucumbers are brilliant, containing mostly water plus loads of vitamins - did you know half a cucumber contains a whole day's vitamin K?!

When we arrived, ours was the only summit not covered in a little cloud, but as we sat there all the tops eventually cleared.
IMG_3159.jpg

After an hour, the two guys I'd seen earlier arrived, and one of them mentioned that he'd taken the pipes.... 'Get them out then?' I requested enthusiastically, wishing I had my fiddle with me. Practically, it's difficult, as fiddles are very delicate and don't like hot weather or being bumped about. Pipes are definitely more portable - after all, that's why they became so popular when they arrived in Scotland in the 1500s. It must be especially hard to blow up that bag when you've just hiked up a Munro in 24 degrees sunshine, but he gave us a few sets of tunes and it was brilliant! (Reid Piping, if you want to look him up on social media).

IMG_3153.jpg
Piper at the top.....

IMG_3158.jpg
Quite a gathering!

They then joined the picnic and we sat around identifying the surrounding mountains and telling each other stories about people who'd lost their car keys up hills etc.... I think I was there an hour and a half, it was so nice.
Nobody was sure what the wee shark-fin hill is in the centre of this photo.....
IMG_3165.jpg
Shark-fin shaped hill....?

It was an unusual view of Torridon, but thanks to Meall a' Ghuibhais being such a distinct outline, as soon as the cloud cleared the tops I could spot Beinn Eighe, Liathach, Slioch etc.

IMG_3174.jpg
Slioch, centre

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg
Looking back towards Strathconon

IMG_3168.jpg
Meall a' Ghuibhais, right, with Beinn Eighe and Liathach to the left...

Eventually both families and I set off back down, leaving the guys up there, and as I descended I could still hear the pipes... magic. I went down a slightly different way, keeping to the rim of the cliffs to savour the views before heading back to the burn. We decided we had solved the Brahan Seer's prophesy as well.... he didn't mean ravens drinking our blood for three days, he meant CLEGS!!!! Solved!

IMG_3181.jpg
Starting to descend

IMG_3184.jpg

As usual I was looking for a place to dip my legs, and found my very own Infinity Pool, AKA the hydro dam! Lovely.... extremely warm for moving water, but refreshing nevertheless.

IMG_3188.jpg
The burn

IMG_3190.jpg
Mmmmmmm

Great views on the way back down, looking towards Achnasheen again.... so much better than the grey sky of the morning.
IMG_3193.jpg
Returning to Achnasheen

I made it back to the car, hot but happy and in good spirits after a truly enjoyable day. The walking took me about 3.5 hours, and I was sat around at the top for another 1.5 hours and maybe 30 minutes at the pool, so not a massive hill - but I should point out we'd had no rain for ages and I had no issues with boggy ground. Definitely hit it lucky there!

My review of Fionn Bheinn on TripAdvisor would be as follows: Five stars, excellent weather, your own personal piper and an infinity pool. What else could you wish for?
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Fionn Bheinn - five star fun, complete with piper and po

Postby jmarkb » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:41 am

Nice report - sometimes it is just good to have a straightforward, uncomplicated and thoroughly pleasant day out! The "Shark's Fin" is Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Fionn Bheinn - five star fun, complete with piper and po

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:45 am

jmarkb wrote:Nice report - sometimes it is just good to have a straightforward, uncomplicated and thoroughly pleasant day out! The "Shark's Fin" is Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich.

Thank you - I knew someone would identify it! :D
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland