walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Lap - a slow ambling sort of day

Beinn na Lap - a slow ambling sort of day

Postby Sspaterson » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 30/07/2021

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fancied a wee adventure so two hour drive from Perth to Rannoch with pal and two daughters to catch the train from Rannoch.

After getting eaten by clegs last week I opted for all areas covered and a midge net. This proved to be a good idea. The tearoom is closed on Fridays but we grabbed a cuppa by way of an honesty box and a kettle in the waiting room and caught the 1109 train to Corrour. It's weird getting off in the middle of nowhere with lots of others and dispersing into the wilderness.

This is an easy hill with a straightforward path up onto the shoulder and then a plod to the top. Fortunately the clag had lifted a bit and we got some views.

65C9F211-6127-4A30-81FD-0B5C8F58113D.jpeg
At the top

Thought about descending off the back and walking back along by the loch but not wanting to miss the last train and allowing plenty time for tea and cakes we decided to retrace our steps.

IMG_4315.jpeg
A serene moment by the youth hostel

It was a very muggy day and we were all feeling a bit lethargic. We wandered round to the youth hostel for a nosey. Sat watching the ducklings whilst having a wee snack. I pulled my sleeve back to check the time on my watch and a darn cleg homed in on me like sidewinder missile - got two chomps of me right at my watch strap before I realised. As I type this, the itch is hellish and the swelling even worse.

IMG_4319.jpeg
Ambling back for cake

Not feeling remotely energetic enough to go further we ambled back to the station for about 3pm and grabbed a seat outside in the emerging sun. Though the kitchen was closed the chap did us some toasties and chips served with great aplomb on a platter. Had two pots of tea and fabulous cakes and we were the happiest folk in the world.

581C064D-9569-4656-B551-AA5BBF1F0E10.jpeg
Oooh tasty

IMG_4322.jpeg
More excited about cake than the hill

Sat being lazy and putting the world to rights before getting train back to Rannoch and the two hour drive home. A long day out for a short hill but it was great and we made a pact to come back and camp when the midges have abated or stay in hostel to bag the other two with the promise of a tasty nosh in the restaurant as a treat. It's the sort of place you could just cosy up in with a good book on a wild day or night.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland