walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumyat Loop from Blairlogie

Dumyat Loop from Blairlogie

Postby cbuchanan3 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:53 pm

Route description: Dumyat from Blairlogie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat

Date walked: 21/07/2021

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 380m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After dropping son off in Stirling for air cadets I had 2 1/2 hours to spare before picking him up again. It was a lovely evening and so I decided to head over to Blairlogie and up Dumyat. A quick look at the map and I decided on an anti clockwise route.

Parked in the car park in the village and headed through the gate and then took the path right, heading towards Menstrie. Fairly quickly it skirts along the edge of the woods and picks up a good farm track. Followed this for about 2km and just as you pass a couple of farm cottages, take the left track up the hill. After a couple of hundred metres you'll see the path on your left which takes you up Dumyat. It's short, sharp and certainly had me getting a sweat on! Lovely views looking back over Menstrie Glen with lots of tracks visible - looking forward to exploring those. I was moving at a fair clip and reached the top about 45 mins after leaving the car park. Some fantastic views in all directions given the clear evening and paused briefly for a drink and a quick rest.

From Dumyat headed over to Castle Law before coming back over to the main path again. Was enjoying the fine weather and doing a bit of map studying and picking out the terrain and features given it's all fairly new to me. Had plenty time to spare and was debating with myself about heading down the glen and back into Blairlogie or whether to follow the path and then walk back down the road to Logie Kirk. Decided on the first option and followed the path down, over the fence and when you reach a switchback you pick up the woods. From here all the way back to the car park it's not a pleasant walk (at this time of year). It's overgrown with plenty ferns, nettles etc and not enjoyable. But on the positive side another bit of local knowledge. As you get to the bottom path takes you almost into a couple of back gardens and had me questioning if I'd gone astray, but you quickly pick up the track and pretty soon your back in the car park.

Lovely way to spend an evening especially when the weather was as good as it was! :D
Attachments
IMG_20210721_192900.jpg
Looking across to Menstrie Glen and Myreton
IMG_20210721_200105.jpg
Dumyat from Castle Law
IMG_20210721_200350.jpg
Looking across the Forth Valley
IMG_20210721_200410.jpg
View across Stirling to Cambusbarron Hills and beyond
IMG_20210721_202437.jpg
Looking down the Glen to Blairlogie
IMG_20210721_203405.jpg
Back up the Glen and those ferns!

activity_7166802075.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

cbuchanan3

Munros:14   
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:6

Re: Dumyat Loop from Blairlogie

Postby snodland » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:34 pm

Lovely hill and good walk and views
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland