walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

GOOD TIMING

GOOD TIMING

Postby lairdoharray » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Date walked: 26/07/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read about nasty bogs, I decided to take advantage of the great dry spell and go for Ben Challum. It was a struggle to get up and go, but I am so glad that I went for it. I left the car at the lay-by near the turn off for Kirkton Farm at 08.35. It was already quite warm. I went with the conventional route and it is fairly simple. Fence posts nearly all the way to the south top.

It reminded me of Stob Binnien with a top to the south before a rise to the Munro, but Challum's final climb is a lot less effort. Unfortunately, waves of mist reduced the view, but Glen Lochay seemed attractive.

Coming down, I noticed some nasty holes, away from the paths. Care should therefore be taken if venturing off the tracks. It was obvious that this would be a different walk in November after the usual autumn rains. I called it right and was rewarded. I was back at the car by 14.35: a bit slow, but then I'm in my late 60s and it was a hot day. the younger fry will do it a lot quicker!.
Attachments
on target.jpg
bone dry.jpg
graveyard.jpg
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland