walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin

Beinn Alligin

Postby Wanderlust » Wed May 20, 2009 11:41 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 20/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, after doing Liathach, next on my list was Beinn Alligin.
Once again I was accompanied by my pal Norman, and we set off from the Hostel along the road, it wasn't a bad walk with good views of Loch Torridon.

On the track from the car park we soon got a glimpse of what was in store for the day

Sgurr Mhor and The Horns of Alligin

It was a fine approach to the mountains along a good track, had to scramble up a bit to a plateau below The Horns, from where there was good views of the two Munros on this route

Sgurr Mhor

Tom na Grugaich

As we climbed The Horns the views began to open out to the north, I particularly like this one...
Loch a Bhealaich and Baosbheinn, from The Horns of Alligin, Gairloch in the distance

After a steady climb up to Sgurr Mhor, the views got even better, with the neighbouring ranges on one side and the Skye Cuillin on the other

Foreground - Horns of Alligin, Middle - Beinn Dearg, Background, Beinn Eighe

Tom na Gruagaich, Skye Cuillin on the horizon

Liathach

From Sgurr Mhor we descended the grassy slope to the saddle where on the way down a gigantic gash in the rock framed the view below

The wind was really blowing with some force by the time we'd reached the summit of Tom na Greagaich, so we sheltered just below for a little while before making our descent into Coir nan Laogh and back down to the road and back to the hostel, walking into a fierce head-wind.

Sgurr Mhor and The Horns of Alligin

To sum it up this was my favourite walk of the week, challenging - but not too difficult - with stupendous views along the way. A classic amongst Scottish hill-walks.
Last edited by Wanderlust on Thu May 21, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Re: Beinn Alligin

Postby Wanderlust » Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 pm

A couple of video clips I filmed on this walk

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km52-VrCPkQ[/youtube]
View of the hills on the ascent

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EHRiHPNvEM[/youtube]
Panorama from Sgurr Mhor
Wanderlust

Postby Papagenos » Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 am

You were really fortunate with the weather during the trip. On my visit to Torridon earlier this year I couldn't see a thing as the cloudbase was so low and the rain was driving horizontally in to my eyes. Here's hoping that I will be able to get photographs like yours when I return in June.
Papagenos
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu May 21, 2009 10:40 am

Another cracking report. Like you I think I enjoyed Beinn Alligin the most out of the Torridon hills. Love the one looking over the horns to Beinn Dearg. The one above that with the loch and hill behind that you liked is Baosbheinn - a great hill.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Wanderlust » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 am

Cheers for the link to Baosbheinn, I was taking a good look at that when I was on Beinn Alligin. It looks like a superb ridge walk.

There's absolutely loads to do in Torridon, I've got to return there in the future - think I would drive up next time though - it's so difficult to get there and around the area using public transport.
Wanderlust

Postby kinley » Thu May 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Beinn Alligin is my favourite Torridon Munro - we climbed it on a July holiday before we took up hillwalking for real (in jeans :oops: ) got a day like that - stunning :D
kinley

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu May 21, 2009 8:32 pm

What a cracking report and again some stunning pictures showing the magnitude of the Torridon Munro’s

The weather window you had was perfect for the walk – looks like it couldn’t have been better
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Dirk Winter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Great report and very impressive pictures. You got phantastic weather for this walk. Did you by chance climb Beinn Alligin on the same day we climbed Beinn a'Bheithir (12th May)?

I wrote over there (in an answer to my Beinn a'Bheitir report) that our walk was topped by another one. When I wrote that I meant our Beinn Alligin walk (on 19th May). Well, when I see your pictures it seems I don't have to add some of mine. On the other hand some clouds might also be not bad for a change. ;)
Dirk Winter

Munros:65   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   

Postby Wanderlust » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:02 am

the date I did this walk was 13 May, had a great few days in Torridon - the weather really made it.

Dirk, why not post a few pics - it's always nice to see the scenery in different conditions :)
Wanderlust

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland