walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It can be done in the timescale

It can be done in the timescale

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Corbetts included on this walk: Leum Uilleim

Date walked: 07/08/2021

Time taken: 5.8 hours

Distance: 19.33 km

Ascent: 1110m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst on my second round of Munro's, I have been chipping away at the 282, I have decided not to make all walk reports "live" - the only reports I make available to all are ones that I think would be useful to fellow walkers. There are umpteen reports for Beinn na Lap, but only a handful that include the Corbett Leum Uilleim. I am not sure if anyone else has tried the route that we opted for, hopefully someone will give it a go.
I am sure plenty of fellow walkers have looked at ways to tackle the hills from Corrour Railway Station?
In the 'olden' days before Covid was ever invented you could catch the Sleeper train north and that would give you about a 9 hour window - plenty of time to tackle the 3 Munro's. Now that Covid has invaded our shores and is used an excuse for just about everything and anything, Scotrail have adjusted the timetable. So for anyone thinking of tackling any of the collection of hills from Corrour you now have a 7 hour window. The train coming from the south arrives at Corrour at 11.21am and the last one leaving Corrour heading south is at 18.25pm. A small group of us tackled the 2 Munro's south of Loch Ossian in June and it took us a shade over 6 hours, so including Beinn na Lap was not an option.
For this expedition George was unavailable so I suggested to Parminder that rather than spend a whole day just on Beinn na Lap (which isn't that exciting) why not head west across the railway line & include Leum Uilleim - which was featured in the film "Trainspotting". I worked out each hill would take us about 3 hours so we should manage it.
As we didn't have to be in Crianlarich until after 10ish we met up at 8am and as the roads were quiet we arrived in Crianlarich with plenty of time to spare, so we tried out the wee cafe at the station and had a coffee. The train when it arrived on time wasn't as busy as our last trip but still had quite a few passengers on board.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The train emptying, must have been in excess of 30 folk

Beinn na Lap not quite visible

Leum Uilleim also not quite visible, folk still sorting out what and where they are going

See you in 7 hours, in the background you can see the ridge that goes from right to left that take you to the summit of LU

Walkers getting well spread out

Loch Ossian coming into view

Weather looking rather changeable

Not sure where everyone went, we only met 2 other couples, one in front and one behind

It was a wee bit further along the track that I realised we should have turned right at the junction - my excuse is that the last time I was up BnL I tackled it from the other direction

Rather than double back, with a bit of descent we opted to head across the damp long grass to rejoin the path

Parminder loving the extra challenge

The western end of Ossian, the Youth Hostel nestled in amongst the trees

Looking back to the station with LU in the distance

The middle part of Loch Ossian with Carn Dearg on the other side of the Loch

Parminder looking tired already, he obviously enjoyed the slight diversion - we are now back on track

Ossian again from much higher up

Looking across to LU

Atmospheric shot of the cloud swirling around

What a surprise - blue sky on the summit of Beinn na Lap

Eastern end of Ossian, looking towards Ben Alder and all the other hills out that way

Ossian from the summit

Carn Dearg across the Loch

It was shortly after leaving the summit of Beinn na Lap I suggested to Parminder that rather than walk down to the track and then back to the station - why don't we try the direct route. There are no crags or cliffs, just an odd peat hag, long grass and a few minor undulations and it looked very doable. So we agreed and is it turned out it was a very easy descent and George would have loved it and been miles ahead.

LU still quite a distance away

We don't have much more descending to do

We crossed the track that apparently heads to Kinlochleven

Next was the railway line, so after looking left, right & left again we went for it

We opted for another direct route, which would take us across to the ATV track that winds it's way up the shoulder

The path we picked up after crossing the railway line, we followed it briefly heading back towards Corrour and then 'went for it'

There is plenty of old timber that is being reused to assist ATV's up the hillside

Looking back to Beinn na Lap and as you can see not a difficult descent - may be different after a prolonged wet spell

A low level look back to Corrour before we start to gain height

The route to the summit of Leum Uilleim, we would ascend and then go from right to left

The ATV track can be seen quite clearly and is easy to follow

Looking back again

Loch Treig now visible

The showers seem to be more frequent as the afternoon progresses

The summit of LU has now disappeared, let's hope the cloud moves on

Loch Treig again, Beinn na Lap on the right with a few shadows on the shoulder

Maybe one day I will get the hang of this selfie stuff

The last 400m or so to the summit you have to leave the luxury of the ATV track and trudge on tufty grass and rocks, the summit cairn appearing out of the gloom

Big cairn but the shelter would be a tight squeeze for more than one walker

One of Parminder's better photo's

The path down the ridge is quite good and easy to follow, which was just as well as visibility was pretty poor and then we suddenly saw where we were heading

As you can see the weather is pretty miserable now and was going to get worse, much worse

We were still following the path down, however once the grassy slope is reached the path disappears so once again it was the direct route for Corrour

Rainbow (partial)

The rainbow was there for a few minutes and was the warning that the rain was going to get really heavy

The rain finally stopped, so a photo of Corrour close up

We discussed what we should do dinner wise, the original plan was to eat in Crianlarich but as it wouldn't be 7.30pm I suggested we try the eating place right next to the station in Corrour. We arrived at the hotel absolutely soaked, well I was, my jacket has obviously lost it's waterproofness and we made the mistake of not donning our waterproof trousers and the water was seeping down inside my gaiters into my boots - not pleasant. As we entered the hotel it was already fairly full with fellow travellers with 2 vacant tables left so we made it just in time. As you would expect the food is slightly more expensive, it was freshly cooked and was hard earned and very welcome. Parminder did comment on the puddles of water we left under our table!!

Parminder's dinner in the Corrour Station Hotel

My half chicken

To sum up, another cracking day - apart from the soaking at the end, thanks to Parminder for driving and his company. I also have to say that Loch Ossian is one of my favourite loch's, very picturesque.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: It can be done in the timescale

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 am

Hi FF

Thanks for posting this, it looked like a really good day out (apart from the rain at the end).

Many years ago Mrs Gordie12 and I got the train from Rannoch to Corrour then walked back to Rannoch and that is the sum total of the walking I have done in the area. I always enjoy reading reports on these hills and hopefully I'll get back there soon.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks for the heads up that tackling the two in that time frame is possible. :clap: had looked at it a while ago and was a bit undecided and wondered if taking a tent might be the more relaxed option.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:36 am

You took it the easy way, pal! :lol: :lol: We cycled from Moy to Corrour to climb Leum Uilleim. For some strange reason, Kevin wanted to bag all hills in this area without using the train. Well, he proved his point. At the cost of my sore backside after miles and miles of bumpy track... Still to write my TR on this painful trip.

Beinn na Lap can be exciting if tackled in winter conditions. I remember the panoramic views of snow-covered Mamores and Glencoe hills - priceless :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:41 am

Nice Report: Leum Uilleim is a fine hill - though not easy to spell :lol:
I do like the photo format :D - Mountain landscapes should be wide . The 4x3 format used a lot here often leads to over wide rather dull foregrounds (all in my opinion of course :) )
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:48 pm

Such a different landscape, but still very beautiful, to the NW Highlands. I must do more there.

Having travelled on the train, I was strangely jealous of those getting off at Corrour, even though I was headed for Mallaig and Inverie! Just something vaguely exciting about getting off a train there, in the middle of nowhere, at the start of an adventure.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Gleneagle5 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:16 am

Very good report thanks. We are considering the Munro from Corrour and wondering how to fill the day so doing LU is a great idea. Like your report for the detailed basic information and the photos
Gleneagle5
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:19
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:18   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland