walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Musical Panther up Geal-charn Mòr!

Musical Panther up Geal-charn Mòr!

Postby MusicalHiker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Route description: Geal-charn Mòr , from Lynwilg

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal-charn Mòr

Date walked: 03/08/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm planning Beinn Eighe this month - but waiting for a certain friend to come with me, and he doesn't have much free time - meanwhile I wanted to see what this one was like, so I asked Black Panther to come with me, she's done it at least twice before and weather was good.
I picked her up and off we went down to Aviemore. The sun came out between the clouds and once I'd found the parking spot 'Musical Panther' set off up the track. The large path all the way to the pass at the top is easy, then it's off to the left up the hill, also a massive obvious path, to the summit point. There's one gate to go through.
On the way down we took the alternative route, which BP hadn't done before, so that bit was new to us both - and much more enjoyable to be off the track, with great views to Lairig Ghru and Loch Insh.
There were some gates and a bit of tarmac to negotiate at the bottom on the return to the car but nothing too bad.
Took 15 minutes to eat lunch at the top, so walking was 3hrs 45mins roughly. A quick and easy Corbett, although it is pretty much straight up from the car.
Photos below.....
C58E0912-0C0C-492C-930C-EDC52FE233DC.jpg
Dark skies but the sun is coming out
IMG_3398.jpg
IMG_3399.jpg
Views opening up
IMG_3400.jpg
Panorama
IMG_3401.jpg
IMG_3402.jpg
IMG_3403.jpg
IMG_3406.jpg
Track to the summit
IMG_3408.jpg
Summit approaching
IMG_3412.jpg
Alternative route down
IMG_3414.jpg
Loch Insh
IMG_3416.jpg
IMG_3417.jpg
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:14   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   Islands:22

Re: Musical Panther up Geal-charn Mòr!

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:35 pm

A lovely day out in great company :D The alternative descent was definitely more interesting than the big track up!
I'm still miles away from posting my report, but here's a sneaky peek of "Musical Panther" on the summit:
2021-08-03 geal charn mor 044.JPG
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:172
Grahams:123   
Sub 2000:56   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland