walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe

Beinn Eighe

Postby Wanderlust » Thu May 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 21/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This one is about the third and last of my big days out in Torridon, and with the weather conditions being as they were, then another great ridge walk was the order of the day.

I was kindly offered a lift to the car park for the start of the track into Coire Dubh Mor, a fine path which gradually gained height and I was helped along by a strong tail-wind. After around 2 hours I was up into Coire Mhic Fhearchair, passing an impressive waterfall on the way up. Followed the path around the eastern shore of the Lochan and aimed for the ridge inbetween the Triple Buttress and Sail Mhor, it wasn't too steep an ascent on mostly grassy slopes, on the way up I spotted part of the wreckage of that Lancaster Bomber that crashed here years ago.

Triple Buttress

Coire Mhic Fhearchair

From the ridge itself it was only a short hike up to Sail Mhor crossing over some large slabs and rocks and fighting a fierce easterly wind that almost blew me away! Had great views of the North side of Liathach from Sail Mhor

Liathach (Western end), from Sail Mhor

Liathach (Eastern end), from Sail Mhor

Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin, from Sail Mhor

Coinneach Mhor and Triple Buttress, from Sail Mhor

Back along the ridge and to get up to Coinneach Mhor involved a bit of a scramble, but it was nowhere near as difficult as it looked from lower down, plenty of good hand in footholds on the rock.

Rock face of Coinneach Mhor

From the plateau of Coinneach Mhor, I had a good view of the ridge ahead, so I headed along to Ruadh-Stac Mhor, a bit of a detour from the main ridge but worth the effort to reach the summit and I was rewarded with fine views of the Coinneach Mhor cliffs and Triple Buttress.

Looking east on Beinn Eighe, from Coinneach Mhor

Ruadh-Stac Mhor

Coinneach Mhor and Triple Buttress from Ruadh-Stac Mhor

Back to the ridge it was a good ridge walk along to Spidean Coire nan Clach over 2 smaller peaks along the way. Would've liked to continued the walk along the ridge but time was getting on, so I decided to make my descent on the path into Coire an Laoigh. In hindsight I wish I'd carried on along and completed the whole traverse of the ridge, but I was a bit concerned about getting back. As it turned out, about a minute after I'd reached the road a car stopped and gave me a lift all the way back to the Hostel

Looking West on Beinn Eighe, from Spidean Coire nan Clach

Looking East on Beinn Eighe, from Spidean Coire nan Clach

Sgurr Ban and Sgurr nan Fhir Duibhe

on the decscent from Spidean nan Coire Clach

This was quite a long day, very satisfying, although i need to go back there and finish off that bit of the ridge at the Eastern end!
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Re: Beinn Eighe

Postby Wanderlust » Thu May 21, 2009 12:58 pm

A couple of video clips...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxwDFhoXPU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpUWpk0x9A[/youtube]
Wanderlust

Postby Paul Webster » Thu May 21, 2009 6:43 pm

You only went and climbed all the big three, didn't you!!!

I shouldn't worry about not having done the eastern end of the ridge - that's another walk in itself. With scrambling on the Black Carls I beleive.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Thu May 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Good weather on Torridon's big 3 - lucky you :D

The good news is - the Corbetts are at least as good - so be sure to book your return

P.S. give us a head's up when you're planning it - always good to follow the sun magnets :lol:
kinley

Postby Wanderlust » Thu May 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Yep, I had 3 full days in Torridon, and I completed the 3 big ones. Still can't believe my good luck with the weather - in fact it only began to change on Friday morning, when I was leaving the hostel. Spent the rest of Friday and Saturday morning at Achnasheen, but the conditions were not good.

Well anyway, I can look back with great fondness of a fantastic few days in Torridon.

Here's to the next time :)
Wanderlust

Postby maddjock » Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Nice reports and great pics too. Torridon is a beautiful place.
You had amazing weather for these days. I was working all last week and finished on the friday morning for a week off. I was watching the weather all week really hoping it would last. First thing friday morning, as I finish work, it starts raining. :(
ahh well....
videos are a good touch..
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby yokehead » Sun May 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Wanderlust, I've only just now got to look at reports posted over the past few days. What amazing weather you had for the whole of your 3 Torridon days! :) I have to say that your photos are about the best I've seen on this site. 8) 8) OK, the weather helps but you've managed to capture the atmosphere of the place and the majesty of these mountains. The way the shadows highlight the rock strata and the colours you've been able to display are superb. Well done on achieving all 3 (you lucky dog! :) ) and thanks again for the photos. :D

Many years ago I climbed Liathach, I was touring the area with a mate in October I think it was (not planned as a mountain walking trip). We parked about halfway along and climbed straight up to the ridge. It was very windy and we lay on the edge looking over to the drop below, with the clouds being blasted just over our heads, amazing. We only walked a short way along the ridge before decending by a different route so I can't count any Munros climbed. I'll look forward to going back.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Enjoy your Tiso vouchers - this report is the canine kahunas.
There's as much chance as you not winning the vouchers as Nadal not winning the French Open for a 5th time. Oh wait a minute.... :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland