walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Fare - the Route to the Summit

Hill of Fare - the Route to the Summit

Postby Andy Milne » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:28 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Fare

Date walked: 15/08/2021

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were surprised to be the only car at Raemoir when we parked up at 9:30.
We followed the WH route all the way up, but I had noticed most other reports seemed to indicate a game of 'hunt the summit' generally with a GPS.

Having done exactly the same, by mistakenly following a path off the the right, when the track bears left at @ the 470m contour level, and using a GPS to try and find the summit, I thought I would ease any one else's pain, as I found the summit after a bit of heather bashing
DSC_0020.JPG
Summit Cairn

I then followed a faint track back from the summit cairn to the main path - this is the track you need to take, so please take note.

As the track bears left at @ the 470m contour level - KEEP ON THE TRACK bearing left.
After @10 m you will find a small pile of rocks on the right hand side of the track, next to a faint track
TAKE THIS TRACK
DSC_0023.JPG
Track to the summit

The GPS position I had for this was NJ67132 02852 (photo of the GPS to confirm the position)
DSC_0024.JPG

The rest of the walk was pleasant as the sun tried to break through, and gave my back a decent work out as I continue to recover from fracturing vertebrae at the end of May
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland