walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cauldcleuch Head - Beware of the Bracken!

Cauldcleuch Head - Beware of the Bracken!

Postby maninblack » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cauldcleuch Head

Donalds included on this walk: Cauldcleuch Head

Date walked: 15/08/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is more of a cautionary tale, than a proper report!

We set off to do Cauldcleuch Head (one of our last four Donalds) in good spirits; the rain had stopped as we left the A7, and although there was a lot of cloud around, there was no wind, and a hint of brightness.

I think Cauldcleuch Head's rating of 2.1/5 is a bit harsh. but there again the going is pretty tough over typically tussocky borders ground. Though after the recent dry spell it wasn't that wet underfoot.

So after only four hours walking, and within sight of the car, with the sun now out, we found ourselves on top of Stob Fell.

Stob Fell.jpg
Looking down Stob Fell towards Billhope - car is parked next to those few trees near the road.

We had followed the route shown in the SMC hillwalkers' guide to the Grahams and Donalds, similar to that chosen by 'The Tortoise' in September 2019. We had been following wooden posts with faint blue paint on top for some time, but from here there were posts in two directions! :crazy: Not sure what they are for - possibly connected with shooting? Anyway, heading down we soon found ourselves in an area of new tree planting - which I am all for - but a clear indication of where to go to avoid walking through it would be good. Maybe there is, but we missed it. There are clear signs of a path in the image, but it peters out.

Anyway, the result, despite a different line, was much the same as experienced by 'TheTortoise', though now two years later and much worse. We were soon in head-high bracken, which took a lot of effort to fight through until we eventually came out on the path in the glen. We eventually got to the car, still picking bits of greenery out of our clothes, an hour later.

I'm not sure what the solution is. In the photo below (composite) I have drawn three arrows; the leftmost is roughly the direction we took; the next is down a valley, and the third down a sort of fire-break - from below, I don't think any look that attractive. The other possibility is to drop SE from Pennygant Hill to find a track that comes out a further 2km east back down the road. On do the hill in Winter!

Billhope.jpg
Looking up from the house near Billhope

Anyone else been this way and had similar (or better) luck?!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maninblack
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:197
Fionas:70   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:43   Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland