walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quick revisit to Shalloch on Minnoch

Quick revisit to Shalloch on Minnoch

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Shalloch on Minnoch

Donalds included on this walk: Shalloch on Minnoch

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 476m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd meant to drop in on Shalloch on Minnoch on one of my journeys back to the south coast when I was living there, but never quite got round to it. Now that my relocation means the hills of Dumfries and Galloway are more or less on the doorstep, I had my chance in June.

Shalloch on Minnoch is a modest Corbett, but it's where I was on my 21st, so it's a bit special to me.

On that occasion, two of us had walked from Loch Doon, spent the night in Tunskeen bothy (which was fairly remote at the time), and been picked up the next day at Stinchar Bridge. This time, we just sauntered up from the Stinchar Bridge-to-Glentrool road, where there's a layby large enough to stick a car without being in anyone's way.

So, no path to start with, but not so boggy that it's tough going in any way. As we rose (from our already elevated start point), the hills to the east - the Rhinns of Kells - started to appear.

Image001 Over the Shalloch moor to distant Carlins Cairn

And then more of this lovely, distinctive, loch-studded moorland.

Image002a Lochs Riecawr and Girvan Eye

Before long we hit the path and turned right to follow it to the trig point, and then to the top (for, no, the trig point is not at the top, which I don't think we'd even noticed 30 years ago in the snow and cold!)

For the time being the top of the Merrick was clear, and we were hoping the sun was going to come out as forecast.

Image003 Loch Enoch - Craignaw c above - Dungeon Hill l - Criffel distant

Image004 Merrick and Kirriereoch above Loch Enoch

It was kind of promising - Ailsa Craig was hazily visible...

Image005 One of many windfarms and Ailsa Craig

... but it just never really got there. Meanwhile, we peered down on to Tunskeen bothy, now depressingly accessible via the forest roads I understand, and had our little reminisce [no roof in April '92 - chilly night etc etc].

Image009 Macaterick and Tunskeen below Rhinns of Kells

And while we waited for the sun, instead we found ourselves watching rainclouds racing in. They headed for the Merrick, found it, sat on it, and I suppose at least had the decency not to drench us while they were at it.

Image011 Rainclouds heading for Merrick

Image012 Blue sky over Lochs Doon and Macaterick

Image013 Loch Enoch and Hoodens Hill to Rhinns of Kells

The other thing down below us, to the north, was a rocking stone - at least that's what's marked on the map, and my reading had uncovered that South Ayrshire does a pretty good line in rocking stones.

Image016 S on M north to Loch Riecawr and rocking stone

I was forging a plan to devise a rocking stone route, starting with finding the one down here and giving it a little push... but that's another story...

(The Riecawr rocking stone - visited a few days later. Does it rock? Far be it from me to spoil the suspense! :wink: )

Anyway, thwarted by the hope of breakfast in bright warm sunshine, we cut our losses and pootled back down.

Image017 Gentle descent to Stinchar Bridge

Image018 Lochs and no trees of Carrick Forest

A modest little leg-stretch, with a nip to the River Stinchar at the Bridge on our way home, and an old friend revisited - always a joy.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland