walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Achnafree Hill

Achnafree Hill

Postby Auld Bagger » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:04 am

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 18/08/2021

Time taken: 4.76 hours

Distance: 19.56 km

Ascent: 830m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I downloaded the walkihighlands GPX file and uploaded this onto viewranger. The arrows on the viewranger was going anti-clockwise for this circuit which is opposite to the Walkhighlands notes. I followed the Walkhighlands notes as my target of the day corbett Auchnafree Hill would be reached first and then I would decide whether to complete the circuit or just do a linear walk an retrace my steps.

The weather was sunny and windy along Loch Turret. The track to be followed was excellent and although a bit long at 3 miles for a warm up, the views along this glen more than compensated for it.
20210818_095019.jpg
The view across Loch Turret.

Along the way there are various signs where the estate management request that you do not take the descent down the hillside but instead follow the well established track. The GPX file from Walkhighlands includes this alteration.
P8189932.JPG
Numerous posts along the route requesting to keep to the track.

After 3 miles of walking the end of Loch Turret is reached and there is a track off to the right that double backs and head up to the base of Auchnafree Hill.
P8189950.JPG
The start of the ascent.

Plenty opportunity on the ascent for a nice wee photo and breather en route.
20210818_104040.jpg

The uphill section was made easier by the excellent track. At the top a track branches off left to the summit passing four new looking grouse butts en route. Soon the track ends and there is a mild bog section to cross before the larger cairn is reached.
P8189981.JPG

Not the true summit but an easy to see target.
P8189979.JPG

The summit of the corbett is just a short walk along a good path.
P8189972.JPG

Now for the decision, do I retrace my steps or complete the circuit taking the longer route to the car via Choinneachain Hill. With the good weather and conditions - wind keeping any flying wee beasties at bay, I opted for the circuit.

Following step 5 in the walkhighlands notes I opted for staying on the track which is also the route in the GPX file.There were a couple of descents and ascents to be done before reaching Choinneachain Hill.
P8189988.JPG
En route to Choinneachain Hill

The track passes right alongside the significant cairn.
20210818_123237.jpg
The cairn of Choinneachain Hill.

There was another smaller cairn nearby and a slight detour off to this and there were some great views down across to the Blue Craigs.
20210818_124430.jpg
Blue Craigs

I returned to the track and followed the route back to the car park taking in some great views on the way back. My biggest compliment I can give a hillwalk is that I will be back.
20210818_130536.jpg
Loch Turret
20210818_134855.jpg
Across Strathearn
Attachments
P8180028.JPG
Back at the car park in front of the impressive dam.
Auld Bagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:164
Fionas:7   Donalds:16
Islands:3

Re: Achnafree Hill

Postby DundeeLu » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:34 pm

Great report! Looks like a great walk. Looking at the route, there are quite a few fords/streams to cross. Was there anything deep or fast moving?
DundeeLu

Munros:27   Corbetts:5

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland