walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

'm on a wee hill...where exactly?...Monawee Hill etc

'm on a wee hill...where exactly?...Monawee Hill etc

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Date walked: 18/08/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 438m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Probably more sensible to ascend via the track through the woods just to the east. However, there are good views to be had over Loch Lee by following the narrow, sketchy path that heads more directly to the Minister's Cairn. I found it tough going at points in the already warm and still air, particularly through the longer bracken, but mostly not bad .

I had tried to time my walk with the forecast lifting of morning cloud but it was quite clear right through the morning and afternoon. That said, I was lucky to get a bit of shade from the bits of fair weather cloud that there were. I needed that as there was little wind and the temperature felt a bit higher than what was forecast.

Steep ground, a loch and fair weather cloud make for a fine scene.

Patchy but welcome shade to the east.

I'd have had an easier time if I'd ascended through the woods but would have missed some good views.

Mount Battock to the east.

Once past the steepest part of the ascent there was a decent view along Loch Lee but the Minister's Cairn still seemed a fair way off as the heather had started getting a bit deeper. However, the sketchy path did reappear from time to time to help a bit.

Minister's Cairn visible top right.

My main objective for the walk was to get views of Loch Lee from the vicinity of the Minister's Cairn crags. So I actually diverted south west a little bit to see what I could see.

There is the track I could have taken as an alternative for the ascent.

Mount Battock again. I had a good early morning walk there a few years ago.

Minister's Cairn straight ahead.

Grateful for the narrow paths through the heather and the cloud that has kept the sun off a bit.

Zoom in the Hill of Wirren direction.

There is a narrow path to follow that overlooks the loch; that is just what I needed. No craggy views yet though but there are some nice reflections in the loch.

Burnt Hill and Cruys beyond.

A little bit of a shimmer on the loch as I approach the Minister's Cairn.

I follow this path to the crags below the Minister's Cairn but there's nothing to see really.

A very brief stop at the cairn as it is swarming with flies for some reaosn.

Path beyond the cairn.

Nice light on the water.

Eventually I decide to head north west to the top as the ground ahead is quite boggy, not that it was that much better in the direction I went.

Mount Keen to the north.

Mount Battock again.

Monawee Hill -just a mix of bog and heather really but with some good views thrown in.

Mount Keen again. When I phoned the estate to ask about stalking they seemed to be suggesting that there might be activity in the area but as I was enquiring about Monawee Hill they indicated there would be no problems. In any case they have a sign with clear, generic advice about staying on ridges and following water courses.

Off in the distance.

Lochnagar.

Crags on the slopes of Hunt Hill.

Lochnagar again.

Hunt Hill and Falls of Unich.

Falls of Unich zoom.

Hunt Hill crags again.

It is an initially very pleasant descent west on short heather. Eventually the ground steepens and the heather deepens and it became necessary to decide on whether to do the last 150m of descent heading north or south. I opted to head north as that would get me to the track faster but I noted later that the narrow path that heads south does seem to have an associated starting point from near the loch end.

I head north for the last part of the descent.

But I could probably have followed this narrow path south.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: 'm on a wee hill...where exactly?...Monawee Hill etc

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Have never been to or heard of this area, but it's another one that just shows there are cracking but little known gems all over the Highlands!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:35 am

Hi litljortindan

I know the Loch Lee area fairly well but have never done this hill before. I've seen your gpx at the end but can you just confirm exactly where you left the main track and was there any indication of it (I'm assuming just as you reach the loch side you headed on to the open hill)?????????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Have never been to or heard of this area, but it's another one that just shows there are cracking but little known gems all over the Highlands!

There does seem to be quite a few glens with no big hills but still with good hillwalking. I found Hunt Hill was also a really good walk when combined with a descent past Falls of Unich but, as with Monawee, there is some rough walking involved so it's maybe that as well as the lack of height that makes it a retiring area.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi litljortindan

I know the Loch Lee area fairly well but have never done this hill before. I've seen your gpx at the end but can you just confirm exactly where you left the main track and was there any indication of it (I'm assuming just as you reach the loch side you headed on to the open hill)?????????

Hi Gordie, I actually cut off the main track at Kirkton (just before the church ruin) and followed the burnside for a bit, directly above the last building there so a bit earlier than indicated by my rough plot. That was only a few feet from the track through the woods that would have been an easier ascent.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:58 pm

litljortindan wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Hi litljortindan

Hi Gordie, I actually cut off the main track at Kirkton (just before the church ruin) and followed the burnside for a bit, directly above the last building there so a bit earlier than indicated by my rough plot. That was only a few feet from the track through the woods that would have been an easier ascent.

Got you.

Might wait till winter and include this hill on a wander up in to Glen Lee.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland