walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bin of Cullen

Bin of Cullen

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Route description: Bin of Cullen

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bin of Cullen

Date walked: 09/08/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 180m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Always a pleasure to walk through the woods at the start.

Interesting sky with thunderstorms forecast inland whilst it is sunny on the coast. We can admire the towers of cloud in safety.

Knock Hill to the south.

Tap o' Noth.

The Buck.

Once out of the trees a view west opens up over Spey Bay.

The path then hairpins back and forth a bit before a final, longer arc to the top.

This reveals good views to the east too.

Nearing the top.

Always interesting to see what sky and seascape has been painted.

Quick disco routine at the top.

Air clearing -Sutors visible.

Back into the woods.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Bin of Cullen

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:23 pm

You did well to get a sharp photo while doing your John Travolta/Saturday Night Fever tribute act :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Gordie12 wrote:You did well to get a sharp photo while doing your John Travolta/Saturday Night Fever tribute act :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's actually just Jill lost in her own world of relating the view indicator to the things she recognises on the horizon so it was fairly static finger pointing.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:49 pm

When we went up there, someone (probably the kids we followed up) had graffitied all over the stainless steel of the indicator with a marker pen. We spent a long time rather ineffectually using water and the last of our spare loo paper trying to get it off, Hope Jill could read it, as I imagine it's a fairly frequent happening. If you are interested in them, there are at least 348 to go!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=David+Squires+indicators&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss. The author checked them all with modern computerised panoramas, and points out the mistakes.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:17 am

A great viewpoint and great pics. I was up there yesterday myself about 5pm. Its my 2nd time on the summit and surprised how quiet it was on both occasions.
Sgurr wrote:When we went up there, someone (probably the kids we followed up) had graffitied all over the stainless steel of the indicator with a marker pen. We spent a long time rather ineffectually using water and the last of our spare loo paper trying to get it off, Hope Jill could read it, as I imagine it's a fairly frequent happening. If you are interested in them, there are at least 348 to go!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=David+Squires+indicators&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss. The author checked them all with modern computerised panoramas, and points out the mistakes.

Unfortunately it's now a bit broken up and some of it missing and unreadable. I think it was put up by some local group for the millennium so hopefully someone will repair it. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:50 pm

The viewfinder was apparently commissioned by The Rotary Cub of Buckie to mark the millenium, but wasn't erected until about 2006.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:40 pm

Yes that's it. Here's a photo of it, not from yesterday but my previous visit. :(
20210723_123418.jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:43 am

Sgurr wrote:When we went up there, someone (probably the kids we followed up) had graffitied all over the stainless steel of the indicator with a marker pen. We spent a long time rather ineffectually using water and the last of our spare loo paper trying to get it off, Hope Jill could read it, as I imagine it's a fairly frequent happening. If you are interested in them, there are at least 348 to go!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=David+Squires+indicators&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss. The author checked them all with modern computerised panoramas, and points out the mistakes.

It was intact in November 2015. Depressing that anyone would want to wreck it. From the vandals' perspective I suppose they have struck a blow for entropy.
I bought a copy of 349 Views of Scotland in January 2020! With, indeed, the intention of touring Jill round some. Not really done that yet but there is still time...
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland