walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar & The White Mounth, Stags, Eagles & Plane Wreckage

Lochnagar & The White Mounth, Stags, Eagles & Plane Wreckage

Postby Coutts94 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 22/08/2021

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 31 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So I had been looking forward to this route for a while, Lochnagar and the Four others on the White Mounth :D

The weather looked promising, and before I even reached the car park I spotted these two huge Sea Eagles (I think they were Sea Eagles, let me know if they are not :lol: )

eagle 2.png
Eagle
eagle.png
Eagle

It was then time to walk (After paying £5 to park), the walk quickly goes past the toilet and visitors center, then forks right towards the first Munro of the day - Lochnagar.

Start.png
Walk Start

This part of the walk was great, a quick walk through woodland, a river crossing then a gentle incline toward the bealach between Meikle Pap and "The Ladder".

Once up on the bealach, the wind got pretty intense - so was a quick photo then on to the summit of Lochnagar. The cliffs and loch looked amazing from here! :D

DSC02217.jpg
Lochnagar

I followed the corrie around, until reaching the large cairn at Cac Carn Mor, it was impressive! But lochnagar was looming so I made my was across to the top - before reaching I noticed a figure in the mist :shock:

Mist.png
Stag in the Mist

Lochnagar

Turns out these stags were chilling right next to the Cairn - sadly the views disappeared when I got to the top, so I focused on the Stags.

Top.png
Lochnagar Summit

They were happy to be photographed - well except from the last one! Cheeky Stag :lol:

DSC02241.jpg
Stag One

DSC02244.jpg
Stag Two

DSC02245-2.jpg
Cheeky Stag

What a sight to see, probably the highlight of my day :D

Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach,

It was then on to the next Munro - Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, it was nice easy walking to get here, not much in the way of views as it is an open plateau though. A great feeling of space though.

2.png
Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach

Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

It was a similar walk to number 3, with a small river crossing in between - Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr. Now this munro is probably best known for the plane wreckage of RAF Canberra. The cairn has a hint of this as parts of the wreckage are now interwoven with the cairn. I made my way North to have a look, literally about 15-20m away lies a wing from the plane.

3.png
Plane Wing

Sadly the wing has been engraved with peoples names and initials.

33.png
RAF Canberra
333.png
Plane Wreckage

It was a slightly eerie sight, as the two crew members sadly lost their lives here. Some of it is in surprisingly good condition, considering it was in 1956 and has the harsh conditions at 900m up.

Cairn Bannoch

Anyway, it was on to number 4 - Cairn Bannoch. This was probably the easiest Munro-Munro link I have ever done :D just what you want at that part of the walk. It was slightly rocky towards the summit, but before I knew it I was at the hill of the cake. There were great views of the a waterfall here.

4.png
Cairn Bannoch
44.png
Waterfall

Broad Cairn

Finally, it was time to make to to the final munro of the day - Broad Cairn. Again a nice easy walk over the tundra like plateau and I was there. There were surpringly good views from here! Down to loch Muick and beyond.

5.png
Loch Muick
55.png
Broad Cairn Views

I had my lunch here then made my way back to the start of the route. I had read that this is a long old slog (6+ Miles), and don't get me wrong - it is a long way! But I really enjoyed it, stunning views down Loch Muick and over to the Royal Bothy (Glas Allt Shiel).

bothy.png
Royal Bothy

This was built in 1868 by Queen Victoria. Amazing setting.

The final bit from the end of Loch Muick to the car park was hard going, but all in all I had an amazing day out :D

Also got my Munro total up to 86, feels great getting towards the triple figures! Really enjoying the journey.

I also have a Youtube channel, where I am filming my whole journey from start to finish (Yes I must be crazy :lol: ).. I love video editing/photograhy and the outdoors, so this is the perfect way to combine them :D Plus I love looking back at my trips!

Here is the video if you would like to check it out:

Probably gives a better picture of the day out, rather than my description :lol:

Thanks for reading/watching.

James
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Lochnagar & The White Mounth, Stags, Eagles & Plane Wrec

Postby jimbell21 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Cracking photos and video James, good work 👍
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:11 pm

Nice report, thanks

Definitely looks like a white tailed (Sea) eagle.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:44 pm

Always nice to see photos from this corner of the woods :D

Your first photo of the wreckage is actually part of the tail rudder. Surprising how much debris is still left up there. Most walkers don't even see half of it, many pieces are located lower down the slopes, like part of the second wing, a wheel still complete with tyre, large parts of the engines and the tail section, not to mention hundreds of small, mangled pieces scattered all over the mountain. We took a separate trip last year to climb Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr on its own (from Callater side) and photograph as much wreckage as possible, took us the whole day and I bet we still didn't find everything.

There is also a second wreck on Lochnagar, less known than the Canberra: RN Fairey Firefly on Cuidhe Crom.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland