walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fara from Caochan Woods entrance

The Fara from Caochan Woods entrance

Postby gld73 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 25/08/2021

Time taken: 2.8 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fantastic weather, would have been good for a multi munro hike if I'd had the day free, but I'd left the house at lunchtime to drive to Edinburgh and so made do with stopping off near Dalwhinnie to do a quick walk up The Fara. I'd only done it from the (recently now closed) level crossing in Dalwhinnie before, and in more wintery conditions, but was prompted by a very recent walk report by strathlassie doing it from another direction to do that.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked at the entrance to the Caochan Woods road - gate adorned with signs about no parking. Fortunately there's room for 2 or 3 cars off the road / entrance on some stoney ground to the side, so I parked there, out of the way in case any forestry trucks needed access (none on the way up, but 2 empty lorries parked on the forest side of the entrance when I returned).

Walked up the road into the wood until I came to an old bench on the left, so looked for the firebreak heading up from near there - bit soggy, but nothing bad. Came out from the forest at the deer fence and saw the gate up to my left, climbed over it no bother, then headed up to the vehicle track I'd seen when doing Meall nan Eagan a couple of years ago. Stopped to eat blaeberries on the way, then when on the track just continued up it to its end at the turning circle. Still a fair bit of the way to go, initially up through heather and then nice easy grass / low heather / moss. Got to the large summit cairn and thought about walking the length of the summit plateau which I know is an enjoyable walk, but needed to get on my way to Edinburgh so just headed back. Great views though, every hill in the area looked like a good one to be up today.
20210825_152347.jpg
Summit

20210825_152152.jpg
Summit view NE to Dalwhinnie and across the A9

Heading down to wards the track I could see what a benefit it was for that lower section of the hill, the ground was quite peat haggy all around it but the track avoided all those obstacles.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland