walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Dubh

Sgurr Dubh

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Dubh

Date walked: 23/08/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After giving the midges their breakfast I followed the Achnashellach right of way up to the ford marked on the OS map that coincides with the second obvious gully on Sgurr Dubh's western slopes.

Bits of cloud here and there.

Some steep ground sends me north.

There are good views of Liathach and Ben Eighe.

Soon enough I am at the gully I probably should have ascended.

Then I pass the small lochan directly west of the summit.

I see there is an inversion beyond Ben Eighe. I had driven through some fog en route so this was not a great surprise and it had been forecast on mwis.

Eventually I see it is time to stop contouring and start ascending again.

Loch Bharranch visible below.

Coire Dubh Mor.

Lochan an asgair.

Loch Clair.

View WNW from summit.

View east.

After some debate I decide to make a loop walk. I hadn't actually checked on the stalking situation so, in retrospect, probably not a sensible decision but at least I would be out of the way fairly quickly. As it turned out, I didn't see any signs of stalking activity but reminder to self -check first. It turns out the route was fine for that day.
The descent started on what looked like a path through the scree but this petered out, or I lost it, at the first lochan to the south.

I cut east earlier than planned but I thought the earlier the better. There is some steep ground but not bad and I can see the path I expect to join.

Descent slope.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Sgurr Dubh

Postby gaffr » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:37 pm

In good fine dry weather we combined this top with the other Corbett Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine when staying at the Ling Hut. The descent from Sgurr Dubh required quite a bit of patience and Jinking about between the broken rock terraces to get a reasonable way down. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Sgurr Dubh

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:06 am

gaffr wrote:In good fine dry weather we combined this top with the other Corbett Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine when staying at the Ling Hut. The descent from Sgurr Dubh required quite a bit of patience and Jinking about between the broken rock terraces to get a reasonable way down. :)

I must admit that part of the reason I went round in a loop is that I wasn't that keen on descending the sort of terrain I'd ascended though I might have changed my mind about that if I hadn't found such an easy way down the eastern slopes. Excellent views from the top though! And I'll definitely return to visit Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland