walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Gharbh from Glen Ogle

Creag Gharbh from Glen Ogle

Postby iainR » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:07 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Gharbh

Date walked: 26/08/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21.6 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Began the walk from the parking area in Glen Ogle where several years ago i set off for another Graham, Meall Buidhe
which was a far shorter distance than the one that i was about to undertake. I could've used a shorter route from Killin
but the weather was so perfect i wanted to make a proper walk of it.
Leaving the carpark i set off up a forest track which is waymarked as its part of the Rob Roy Way and as the track rises up through the woodland it eventually links up with a tarred road near a phone mast. It was here that i was glad to be wearing my walking shoes instead of my usual boots as the next couple of miles were under the tarmac.
1 The Rob Roy Way__.jpg
The Rob Roy Way

2 Tarmachan Ridge from Rob Roy Way__.jpg
The Tarmachan Ridge from the Rob Roy Way

3 The mast before the paths join__.jpg
The mast before the paths join

The road winds its way up to the Lochan Breaclaich reservoir then continues passed it until what looks like a hairpin
bend (on my OS map) is reached, from here i spotted a faint path leading off the road and up the hillside.
Several times i lost the path then picked up another through flat areas of bog and steep sections of rock and heather
when all of a sudden the trig pillar appeared and the fantastic views really opened up. All the local munros such as the
Lawers group, the Tarmachan Ridge and Ben Vorlich with Stuc a'Chroin stood out in the clear blue skies as well as Ben More and Stob Binnein further down Glen Dochart.
4 Lochan Breaclaich__.jpg
Lochan Breaclaich

5 Creag Gharbh Summit__.jpg
Creag Gharbh summit

6 Loch Tay and The Lawers Hills__.jpg
Loch Tay and The Lawers Hills

7 View up Glen Dochart__.jpg
View up Glen Dochart

8 Road leading down from the reservoir__.jpg
Road leading down from the reservoir

On a clear day such as this Creag Gharbh punched well above its weight in the viewing stakes with only a short area of rough ground to get there.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland