walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Middle Hill from Manor Valley

Middle Hill from Manor Valley

Postby Justdrums » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Middle Hill

Date walked: 02/08/2021

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 529m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to try a different route up Middle Hill since I had already been up Drumelzier and Pykstone and did not really want to do either of them again on the way to Middle. Read some reports about how the Manor head valley is nice and so thought I would try going up the path by Kirkhope. Manorhead valley is indeed nice. Definitely need to explore the area further.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked by the bridge.
N-1.jpg

From there walked back along the road to the junction where the Kirkhope track joins the road. On the way along the road, the large dog from the house just before the junction decided to jump over the garden wall and bark rather profusely at me. Thankfully the owner in the house heard this and called the dog back. Made a mental note to see if there was a way to get back to the without passing the house and hence the dog. Carried on up the Kirkhope track.
N-2.jpg
Kirkhope track

Pass the farmhouse, the track dips down to the burn and the map says there's a footbridge. Well, the footbridge is not really footbridge anymore. Thankfully the burn was really easy to walkover. Continued on the sort of path on the other side
N-3.jpg
Looking from field above above Old Kirkhope back to the track

and then followed the fence.
N-4.jpg
The fence

Unfortunately could not see where the path veered up the hill and so ended up at the end of the fence. From there just headed straight up the hill until reached the path zigzags. It is not the clearest.
N-5.jpg
Looking back towards the cairn from above the zig-zags.

Kept on the sort of path until I reached the fence
N-6.jpg
Culter Fell and Tinto from the fence between Grey Weather and Long Grain

and from there went up to Grey Weather Law
N-7.jpg
Looking towards Broad Law in the distance from the top of Grey Weather Law

then turned back and followed the fence to Long Grain Knowe
N-8.jpg
Drumelzier Law from the top of Long Grain Knowe

and then Middle Hill.
N-9.jpg
The top of Middle Hill

From back to the Long Grain Knowe, over the fence, pass the cairn and down the zig-zags. Had a wee look at the font stane
N-10.jpg
The font stane

then found that a wee break in the fence just at the end of the plantation that meant I could followed the burn round rather than go pass the hound again. Highlights of the day apart from the hound, were getting quite close to hare and a possible sighting of the Borders eagles.
Justdrums
Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:15
Fionas:17   Donalds:50+17
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:18

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland