walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros Two Hundred and Nine to Thirteen

Munros Two Hundred and Nine to Thirteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:41 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Chabhair, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 24/08/2021

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday, 24th. August:
As we have done a few times now, Chalky and I met and stayed at the excellent Ben More Lodge in Crianlarich and, after a solid breakfast, we were off to climb what are sometimes referred to as "The Crianlarich Five"... but from the south. Low mist (and, to be honest, the weather forecast) suggested high pressure and temperature inversions so we were away fairly quickly and a forty minute drive took us through Lochearnhead, through Balquhidder and along Loch Voil to Inverlochlarig as the mist started to lift. Given that the day was clearly going to be hot, we didn't hang around but headed up the south east ridge of Beinn Tulaichean pretty smartish in an effort to gain some sun protection from the rising mists. This didn't last that long, however, and it was clear that we were in for something of a roasting by the time we hit the final ridge - where, disconcertingly, I was suddenly engulfed by a cloud of flying ants.
Day 2a - Chalky approaches the summit of Beinn Tulachean.jpg
Chalky approaches the summit of Beinn Tulaichean as flying ants try to take over the world
Day 2b - Summit of Beinn Tulachean.jpg
The summit of Beinn Tulaichean with Cruach Adrain behind
From Beinn Tulachean, it was an easy forty minutes or so to Cruach Adrain - the day's high point - where the northern horizon opened up. Ben More is a big lump and looked especially imposing and we enjoyed failing to name familiar peaks because of our incompetence with Gaelic...
Day 2c - Summit of Cruach Adrain.jpg
Looking north to Strath Fillan from the summit of Cruach Adrain
Next came the most enjoyable part of the day as we threaded an intricate descent to the south west over Stob Glas which finished on a bealach at around 520 metres, some 400 metres or so below the summit of Beinn a' Chròin. I had intended for us to work our way up the broad and indistinct ridge running north from the eastern end of Beinn a' Chròin's summit ridge but a glance at the map and a bit of thought suggested that the more pronounced parallel ridge just to the west might provide a more steady ascent and, possibly, a path. So it proved and a bit of grafting saw us to the summit ridge without pause. Once there, however, we (well, I) made something of a mess of things as I initially headed west but then had to reverse half of the ridge to make sure that I took in the top at its eastern end. Oh well... After this, things got a bit more exciting again as the terrain steepened up on the descent to the Bealach Buidhe; these are good hills!
Day 2e - Chalky steps down Beinn aChroin.jpg
Chalky stepping down Beinn a'Chroin towards the Bealach Buidhe
A steep climb then took us to the excellent summit of An Casteal where we met "Bivi Man" - well, we failed to ask his name and needed to call him something. He'd come up the ridge from the north and, equipped with a rucksack of gear and, brilliantly, an easy chair, he was, as The Kinks have it, lazing on a sunny afternoon before settling in for what promised to be a spectacular sunset and a starry night high above the A82. Good effort!
Day 2h - Chalky and Bivi Man on summit of An Casteal.jpg
Chalky and Bivi Man on the summit of An Casteal
Day 2i - Chalky leaving the summit of An Casteal.jpg
Chalky leaving the summit of An Casteal

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A swift descent from just south of the summit of An Casteal then led us to the bealach below and to the east of Beinn Chabhair but, at this point, Chalky's heels reined him in; the disintegration of his normal summer walking boots had forced him into an old pair of stiff winter boots and they had abraded his heels and, despite liberal use of plasters and tape, they had drawn blood. Understandably, then, he passed on the final 300 metres of ascent up the steep eastern slopes of Beinn Chabhair - but he was good enough to hang around and wait while I did it. I went up (and down) as fast as I could without my bag - but managed to spend long enough by the summit cairn to take in what was yet another stunning view, especially to the south. My return to the bealach found Chalky re-plastered and still able to move reasonably well downhill and on the flat so we headed off alongside the rocky, steep bed and waterfalls of the Allt a'Chuiinn into the lonely wastes of upper Glen Larig and around seven kilometres of easy track back to the car at Inverlochlarig. We'd booked in for supper at Ben More Lodge in Crianlarich at 8.30.pm. and made it back with well over five minutes to spare. It had been an excellent day out.
Next report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=107857&p=453906#p453906
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munros Two Hundred and Nine to Thirteen

Postby Munro Mary » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:35 pm

Good walking Fat Dad :clap: but how come you and Dr. Chalk got infested by flying insects again? There's thousands of them! :sick: :lol:
Munro Mary
Rambler

Munros:10   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Munros Two Hundred and Nine to Thirteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Thanks Mary May,
It was weird. I was standing by a cairn and sorting out the camera as Chalky arrived at the summit when I was suddenly surrounded by clouds of them. There were none three or four yards away.
Anyway, it wasn't too bad as the rest of the day was really good and free of flying ants!
Cheers,
Fat Dad
x
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland