walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros Two Hundred and Fourteen and Fifteen

Munros Two Hundred and Fourteen and Fifteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:41 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 25/08/2021

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wednesday, 25th. August:
I had completed a four day circuit of lower Glen Lyon back in 2007 but had still to visit Loch Lyon and the head of the glen - and, with my good friend Chalky heading up to Fisherfield after a terrific walk on the previous day, this was my opportunity. A slow departure from Crianlarich meant that I didn't arrive at Pubil until nearly midday but it didn't take long before I established myself on the track on the reservoir's northern shore, heading for Beinn Mhanach. My bag was heavy (with sleeping bag, stove, tent, etc.) and the temperatures were roasting - but the track made progress relatively easy.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This changed, however, when I hit the relatively gentle eastern ridge of Beinn Mhanach and it took a real effort of will to maintain a steady plod to the summit. Once there, however, I was able to drink almost a litre of water and spend time admiring the lonely landscape under a cloudless sky.
Day 3a - Summit of Beinn Mhanach looking east.jpg
Looking east from the summit of Beinn Mhanach to Glen Lyon and Ben Lawyers
Beinn Mhanach isn't a rocky hill so heading due south down grassy slopes was straightforward. I hit the track around the loch again and, after fording the Allt Tarabhan, I continued south up the valley of the Abhainn Ghlas. The heat, however, was building so I didn't fancy heading up the steep grassy western slopes of Meall Tionail straight away and spent the best part of two hours with my feet in the river and pouring water over my head; bliss!
Eventually some of the heat went out of the day and I set off to plod up the steep grass, my pack no lighter for the addition of three litres of water. All slopes, however, come to an end if you worry away at them for long enough and, after some effort, I topped out onto the flat, grassy col north of Creag Mhor - an ideal camp site.
Day 3b - Camped on col with Creag Mhor behind.jpg
Camped on the col to the north of Creag Mhor with the summit behind
Once the tent was up, the next goal was the top of Creag Mhor and, without the heavy bag, gaining it was not especially arduous - and it was certainly worth it as the views were stunning. I lingered for almost an hour as the sun began to sink towards the north western horizon.
Day 3d - Surreal image on summit of Creag Mhor.jpg
A surreal image of the summit of Creag Mhor created by a malfunctioning camera
Day 3f - Summit of Creag Mhor as sunset approaches.jpg
The view to the west from the summit of Creag Mhor as sunset approached
It was, however, supper time so I jogged back down to the tent and made some soup and pasta. That said, I didn't have to stretch my neck very far to see the sunset.
Day 3h - Sunset from the tent door.jpg
Sunset from the tent door
I'd be asleep pretty quickly but, in the meantime, it was interesting to reflect on the fact that I'd seen nobody since I'd parked the car below the Loch Lyon dam and that there probably wasn't another person within four or five miles of me in any direction.
Next report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=107858
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland