walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Two Hundred and Sixteen

Munro Two Hundred and Sixteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich

Date walked: 26/08/2021

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday, 26th. August:
I was camped at about 800 metres on the flat, grassy col to the north of Creag Mhor under wonderfully clear skies and, needing to be back in southern England before the end of the day, an early start was needed. I was, therefore, away by 6.30.am. and, shouldering a relatively heavy pack, headed across Coire an t-Sneachda below the rocky northern slopes of the mountain to reach the bealach between it and Sron Tairbh. The early start had the additional benefit that I was also able to climb the relatively steep (west facing) slopes of Sron Tairbh and Stob an Fhir-Bhoghar while they were still in shadow; good!
Day 3c - Camped on col.jpg
Camped on the col to the north of Creag Mhor on the previous evening

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 4a - Gaining height on Stob an Fhir-Bhoghar.jpg
Gaining height on Sron Tairbh
Day 4c - Near the top of Stob an Fhir-Bhoghar.jpg
Near the top of Stob an Fhir-Bhoghar
Having got myself onto Stob an Fhir-Bhoghar and hit the sunshine, it was then a pleasure to wander along the ridge to Beinn Heasgarnich taking in the far-reaching views. I was on top by 8.00.am. with the sun still relatively low in the sky and it was superb; a thick layer of mist trapped under a temperature inversion to the east looked especially magical.
Day 4d - Summit of Beinn Heasgarnich.jpg
Looking east from the summit of Beinn Heasgarnich
Day 4f - Summit of Beinn Heasgarnich.jpg
Looking west to Cruachan from the summit of Beinn Heasgarnich
Day 4g - Summit of Beinn Heasgarnich.jpg
Looking north-west to The Ben from the summit of Beinn Heasgarnich
I couldn't hang around for ever, though, and had to head off over what I've seen described as "a defensive moat of peat hags". Fortunately, however, I managed to pick a line down the right (east) bank of the Allt Tarsuinn which, if not dry, was relatively bog free and gaining the top of the road between Kenknock and Pubil was straightforward. It was then a quick romp down to Pubil and back to the car by 10.00.am. - and, going by way of my sister's house in Morpeth (she wasn't in!), I got back home by 10.30.pm. It had been a wonderful four days up in the hills.
Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=109398.
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munro Two Hundred and Sixteen

Postby mrssanta » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:33 pm

That looks great! You're fair cracking through the Munros there!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Chris Henshall » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:35 pm

That looks great! You're fair cracking through the Munros there!

Thanks MrsSanta!
I've been ticking off Munros since 1975 so I'm not sure that, overall, I'm cracking through them very fast on average! I'm sort of aiming to get them all done by 2025ish so, overall, it'll take me around 50 years. There are those who get them done faster!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:44 pm

Chris Henshall wrote:
Thanks MrsSanta!
, it'll take me around 50 years.

I might just beat you then; I climbed my first in 1981!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Chris Henshall » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:59 pm

I might just beat you then; I climbed my first in 1981!

Yup MrsSanta,
But, like I say to my kids, it's not a race! Mainly, I'm enjoying the journey... Hope that you are too!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland