walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth 5 in glorious weather

White Mounth 5 in glorious weather

Postby Sspaterson » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 28/08/2021

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 29 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Oh what a difference waking up in a camper van than in a tent (see Moruisg and Sgurr reports). Proper coffee, a good night's midge free kip and a nice early start. Had no change for the car park but to our surprise the ranger office was open at this ungodly hour (7am) and we paid the nice lady there.

The walking is easy and Lochnagar was pretty straightforward given it's the steepest part. After posing a bit it was on to the next. Was feeling great and making good time.

IMG_4801.jpeg
Lochnagar

Stopped at burn between 2 & 3 and this is where my back pinged as I refilled my bottle. 'Oh' I thought. Well nowt for it but to go on. Had lunch at the top of the third and explored the old wreckage from the RAF Canberra. Some bits of stainless steel are still in perfect working condition.

IMG_4828.jpeg
The plane wreckage

P1010854.jpeg
Me and the hubster - fully protected against biting things

On to Cairn Bannoch. I was fine as long as I was walking but sitting down and getting up again was excruciating.

IMG_4831.jpeg
The long path

IMG_4806.jpeg
An idea of the path

The walk itself is easy going, just long but after Lochnagar, it's just a good old stretch of the legs with no great hardship. I was carrying way too much water because there are two well flowing burns between 2&3 to refill at.

IMG_4834.jpeg
The aptly named Broad Cairn

It took 3 hours from the car park to the top of Lochnagar, then another 3 hours to the top of Broad Cairn then 3 hours walk back. Yes it's a long walk back and we kept to the high route. The path zig zags down to the side of the loch and I was getting tired by now so slipped a couple of times on the gritty path.

My back was lowping by this time and as I write this, I'm awaiting a physio appointment. I've walked further distances and carried heavier rucksacks but I think a combination of both, along with two crap nights in a tent earlier in the week and walking at a quick pace was just too much for my hyper mobile old bones. I've made it to 151 Munros, I'm having a bit of a break now until this gets better. Dammit I was on a roll and my legs felt fine :(
Sspaterson

Munros:208   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Re: White Mounth 5 in glorious weather

Postby Scottk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 pm

I passed you on the way up! It turned into a lovely day and pretty hot! Pity about your back and hoping you have a speedy recovery.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland