walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the electric mist

In the electric mist

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na Breabaig

Date walked: 30/07/2021

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 33.8 km

Ascent: 901m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm so far behind with my reports that it's scary. My life has been so hectic recently that I couldn't get around to writing them up, hopefully I'll have more quiet time at hand soon. In the meantime, a short story about one of the bike and hike Grahams we ticked off in late July.
Carn na Braebaig is usually climbed together with either Aonach Buidhe or An Cruachan, but we decided to do it in a separate outing, simply because the forecast wasn't great, but good enough for a cycling trip with a short jaunt up a single hill.

Track_CARN NA BREABAIG 33.8KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked in Killilan at the end of the public road and planned to cycle up Glen Elchaig to iron Lodge, then climb Càrn na Breabaig using the old stalkers path. We had already biked up and down this glen, when we did Aonach Buidhe so we knew that the surface is easy enough even for a rubbish cyclist like me on my 15 years old cheap bike.
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 003.JPG

The early stages are indeed on tarmac which later gives way to more bumpy surface, but the track is well maintained and I enjoyed the cycle in more than expected. There was little chance of the cloud lifting though and we were getting mentally ready for a "cairn in the mist" experience (not the first, not the last!).
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 004.JPG

On a better day, just exploring Glen Elchaig would be a cracker of a walk, sadly today views were obscured; well, at least there was enough breeze to keep midges and keds away!
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 008.JPG

Looking back down Glen Elchaig:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 011.JPG

Loch na Leitreach:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 015.JPG

Iron Lodge and the stalkers path zig-zagging up the north-west side of Carn na Braebaig:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 021.JPG

We left the bikes near the lodge and set off up the stalker's path. It turned out to be a track actually, a bit eroded in places but we were making good progress. Shame about the views being so restricted but knowing how capricious Scottish weather could be, we were glad it wasn't raining!
Glen Elchaig from the track above Iron Lodge:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 022.JPG

On the track:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 029.JPG

The track circles the slopes of the Graham; at the highest point we left it to climb straight up the NE shoulder of "our" hill. On a better day, we'd probably consider a traverse using the Alt na Criche path, but in given circumstances there was no point making it more difficult that in already was.
Into the mist:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 032.JPG

The ascent was straightforward if a bit wet. About half way up I discovered that my lightweight walking boots were leaking, but I tried not to complain too much. Kevin admitted that his feet were getting wet, too. What a surreal coincidence.
Reaching the summit meant just another misty experience...
Graham no. 122 (103 for wee Lucy):
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 034.JPG

The summit has no cairn but a large rock marks the highest spot:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 038.JPG

The views we got today... just the electric mist:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 035.JPG

We waited on the summit for some time but the only short gap in the cloud lasted maybe five minutes. We noticed the outline of Loch Mhoicean and that was it:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 044.JPG

Disappointed with the lack of views and nursing wet feet, we descended the same way we came up, returning to the stalker's path and then back to the bikes. We took time cycling back down Glen Elchaig, enjoying the only view we had today, that of a long and winding track :wink:
2021-07-30 carn na breabaig 012.JPG

I can imagine that in good weather Carn na Braebaig would be a cracking viewpoint, sadly we had no chance to experience the good side of it. If I could describe the walking part of our hike in one sentence, I'd use a paraphrased quote from "The Terror":
THIS PLACE WANTS US WET! :shock: :shock:

In my next story we will at last leave the clag behind and spend a day on a sunny ridge. TR to post soon.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: In the electric mist

Postby Graeme D » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Almost certainly the first time I have seen the phrase "electric mist" and the word "capricious" in the same report! :lol: Good stuff though. A Graham's a Graham for a that! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: In the electric mist

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Graeme D wrote:Almost certainly the first time I have seen the phrase "electric mist" and the word "capricious" in the same report!

Just trying to be original :lol: :lol: If I called it "Carn na Braebaig by bike", nobody would bother to read it :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland