walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Callop Grahams

Callop Grahams

Postby TheTortoise » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Kinlocheil), Meall nan Damh

Date walked: 27/08/2021

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It seemed a perfect day for the Callop Grahams, sunny, clear, little wind. We set off for an anticlockwise circuit, along the Glen Cona path for a short way (thanks to Black Panther for this route). Then we cut across the glen and up onto the ridge to Meall nan Damh. One or two crags were easily bypassed and we gained the first summit, then a lovely walk high up to get to the true summit.
IMG_20210827_125208.jpg
Looking over the ascent route to the north

Lunch at the top, but whilst sitting happily drinking in the view, we became aware of quite a few keds. Then more. And more. They allegedly don't usually bite people, so I wasn't too bothered. But they burrowed enthusiastically into my hair. I was wearing a loose merino-type t-shirt (cos it was really warm, and they don't make nice t-shirts with collars to keep off the sun and insects for women) and they loved that too. The Hare commented that I needed a hairnet, so out came the midge net draped over my cap and hair. Smidge didn't seem to deter them at all.
An easy walk over to the next Graham, not dropping hundreds of metres for a change. Then lunch number two, and keds again.
IMG_20210830_225628.jpg
Pano
IMG_20210827_133823.jpg
Over to the Ben
Then we headed downhill towards the junction of the burns by the edge of the forest. We could see the track (shown on Open Street Map) coming out of the forest. And there was a bridge. On the other side of a deer fence. For some reason, the fence nearby was cut and the sides very neatly rolled back round each nearby post. So we walked through, crossed the burn and gained the track. This was quite variable in quality as it headed down and round to the main track - clear and easy, boggy and overgrown, stony and steep. But it was a very straightforward way back.
IMG_20210827_173336.jpg
Looking north, nearly down now
IMG_20210827_181321.jpg
Looking back to the horseshoe route

On the summit, the Hare had joked that we mustn't take any keds into the van. I thought I had removed mine on the summit, but as we drove back to the campsite, I kept opening the window and throwing out another one. Then at 2 o'clock in the morning, I was seized with awful itching. I have a swathe of bites all across my shoulders and lots of hard bumps in my hair at the neck. (The next trip, I went out fully laded with protective wrapping, but didn't need it).
Here is our approximate route

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland