walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I have a screw loose

I have a screw loose

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Mullach Coire nan Geur-oirean

Date walked: 31/07/2021

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 31.5 km

Ascent: 915m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mullach Coire nan Geur-oirean not only has the longest name on the Graham list, it is also one of the least convenient 2000ft hills to climb. At least for us it was. If doing a multi day traverse, one could combine it with Gulvain or the surrounding Corbetts, but for a single day trip, it is a long walk for a single Graham. Thankfully, the approach is on a good track so we thought we could use bikes for this one, especially that we had just cycled to Carn na Braebaig the day before and our bikes were still strapped to the back of the car.

Track_MULLACH COIRE NAN GEUR-OIREAN 31.5KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The best starting point for this route is from the forestry car park by the Eas Chia-Aig falls. A short cycle to a locked gate and a track entering the Locheil Estate. The small walker's gate was open and we assumed that cyclist were allowed:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 003.JPG

Views from the eastern end of Loch Arkaig:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 002.JPG

The tarmac soon ended but the gravel track was definitely cyclable, if a bit steep here and there:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 005.JPG

After about 3km the road emerges from the forest with better views to Loch Arkaig and the surrounding hills. I had been worried about my cycling abilities but this was easier than I expected.
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 009.JPG

A new forest track almost had us deceived but we quickly noticed we had turned the wrong way and corrected the mistake. Past Invermaillie, the cycling was rougher but we were still making good progress. The forecast today was slightly better than the day before, less cloud possibly, so a good chance for clag-free summit ridge.
Looking back down the access track:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 012.JPG

We left the bikes about 1km before the ruins of Glenmaillie, at the highest point of the track. The slopes leading to the ridge looked friendly enough here:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 014.JPG

We managed to avoid the bracken lower down and climbed steadily alongside one of many small streams. Weather was improving as we gained height and our hopes for a clag-free summit increased.
Upper Glen Maillie:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 015.JPG

After 350m of ascending the steep section, we reached the main ridge. The summit was still miles away but from now on it would be much easier going. I couldn't resist a pose with the views emerging from the lifting cloud:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 024.JPG

The best views are of course to the north and west, to the rugged landscape of Knoydart and the hills north of Loch Arkaig:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 033.JPG

Also, there's a nice perspective to Loch Lochy peaks:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 035.JPG

The twin tops of Gulvain:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 040.JPG

The summit is roughly 3km away from the eastern end of the ridge but the ascent is very gradual. Some peat hags to avoid but in summer time most of them were dry as a bone. A nice change from the "place that wanted us wet" the day before :lol:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 038.JPG

It was indeed a very enjoyable walk along the ridge, with views that surprised us with the clarity. Mullach Coire nan Geur-oirean sits right between the tops of Knoydart and the Glenfinnian area; it is also close enough to Fort William peaks to give a good view of Ben Nevis. It is really worth saving for a clear day!
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 097.JPG

Loch Blair and the Quoich landslide:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 072.JPG

Zoom to the landslide:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 092.JPG

The summit cairn is small and it could easily be overlooked. We celebrated our 123rd Graham (104th for wee Lucy):
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 087.JPG

It was warm enough for shorts, at least for Kevin. I prefer to cover myself more due to my UV allergy.
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 089.JPG

A few extra snaps from the summit:
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 073.JPG

2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 079.JPG

2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 075.JPG

We considered making a circular walk by descending to the Glenmaillie ruin, but decided against it. It would still be the same distance to cover and by retracing our steps we kept the excellent views for longer. We didn't expect so much strong sunlight but better too much sun than not enough (we were fed up with walking in the cloud, having spent several days wandering in the mist!).
2021-07-31 mullach coire nan geur-oirean 100.JPG
Sunscreen time!

We returned to our bikes and set off on the cycle back to the Eas Chia-Aig car park. It was much easier now as the track was descending gently so we really didn't need to put much effort into pedaling, the wheels just rolled by the power of gravity. At some point I noticed that my bike started to make strange clonking noises. One of the screws securing the back seat to the frame has come undone and the whole structure was moving. I wasn't really sure how to describe the problem to Kevin so I just shouted:
"We have to stop. I have a screw loose!!!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well said, Panther.
You definitely do!
The clonking seat was temporarily fixed (Kevin proved himself to be as good as MacGyver!) and we continued cycling back without any further adventures. The car park was badly midge-infested so we quickly put the bikes on the rack and jumped inside. The whole expedition took us 7.5 hours and that with quite a few breaks, including a long siesta on the summit.
I know this is not a hill many people will consider worth the hassle, but I wouldn't count it out just because its name is long and unpronounceable :lol:

My next story will cover another crash site and some less known tops of he north-east. TR in progress.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: I have a screw loose

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:13 pm

"I know this is not a hill many people will consider worth the hassle, but I wouldn't count it out just because its name is long and unpronounceable"

But, like so many of the less well-known locations, it has superb views (judging by your report).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland