walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One for the masochist: Torr Achilty again

One for the masochist: Torr Achilty again

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:11 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Torr Achilty

Date walked: 29/08/2021

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Torr Achilty.
Date: 29/08/2021.
Distance: 6km.
Ascent: 260m.
Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Grey with the odd bit of sunshine on other hills.

After we abandoned David at the foot of Ben Shieldaig on Friday evening, he went on to have a stunning day out on Beinn Damh with sunshine and inversions and we....cycled along the canal to Loch Ness from the house. I think we all know who won that round, but after I destroyed a tent pole, staying in Torridon hadn't been an option!

David was making his way back south on the Sunday so I decided to meet him for a quick hoof up Torr Achilty. No way Jackie was going to be persuaded up here again but I remembered a slightly different route I wanted to check out to see if some of the head high heather could be avoided.

Torr Achilty from the old Black Water bridge

Parking up at the old bridge at the west end of Contin, we set off at 8:30am. In the end I decided to check out my route hunch on the descent, and we passed Torrachilty farm and got onto what could be deemed the NE ridge. You have to dodge around a bit to avoid the old quarry to the right and a couple of small crags, but then there is a path of sorts through the bracken. The bracken is pretty tall though, and the path only helps a bit!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As the path veered off to the top of the quarry, we took a less distinct (if that is possible) left branch and headed straight up the ridge. Eventually the head-high bracken is replaced with heather that is almost as high. Again there is a route of sorts through it but I've found pathless heathery hillsides that are more straightforward! Jackie and I descended approximately by this route last December but I think we went out onto the steep slopes to the east unnecessarily.

SE to the Black Isle and Inverness

Eventually the trees thinned and after slacking to eat lots of blueberries along the way, we emerged at the summit. I think the views are quite reasonable from here, and don't mind fighting my way up to it once in a while. Thankfully midges were minimal too.

David pushes through the last of the trees and vegetation

Looking NW

The Conon, Cul Mor and Cul Beag (not those ones)

Loch Achonachie

And now to that descent route. I had previously noticed quite an obvious path leading away to the west, and I suspected it might swing around eventually and drop back to Torrachilty farm. Having previously come up from here, I knew there were decent animal tracks through the lower woodland - would they meet up?

No they wouldn't - a few minutes from the summit, the obvious path peters out into deep heather :roll: . On the plus side, I can confirm that the deep heather it lands you in is not quite as bad as the stuff we had shortcut through last time, so it is definitely worth heading west for a little bit. Soon enough we dropped into the lower woodland where the heather abruptly ends, and the going became quite easy. David pointed out some mushroom types - I've never had the confidence to know what's what fungi-wise, so it was quite interesting. Then we appeared to be traversing the top of the old quarry and joining our outward route.

Ben Wyvis

Ben Wyvis with a bit of sunshine

Soon back on the farm track, we were done shortly after 10:30am. Although there were a couple of midges around, I hung around for a cup of tea before heading home.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: One for the masochist: Torr Achilty again

Postby jmarkb » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 am

This looks like somewhere that would benefit from the Norwegian approach to path creation - just take a petrol strimmer with you next time!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby PeteR » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:25 pm

On the occasions I've driven past this one I always think I should stop and "bag" it........haven't done so yet :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Sick Kid » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:25 am

You could not pay me enough to repeat that hill!!! :crazy:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby gld73 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:24 pm

PeteR wrote:On the occasions I've driven past this one I always think I should stop and "bag" it........haven't done so yet :lol:

I always thought that too. The one snowy winter's day I did stop and bag it :shock: On the good side, I can now drive by it quite happily without any thought of ever wanting to do it again :lol: I do like malky's optimism in continuing to try and find a good way up and down it though!!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland