walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pressendye with another human!

Pressendye with another human!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Pressendye

Date walked: 17/04/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.14 km

Ascent: 361m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another last minute plan with the travel restrictions being unexpectedly lifted a week early – we needed to pick up a pair of skis from Alford (long story :lol: ) so figured we’d make the most of the trip and head up Pressendye. I dropped Gill a message the night before as she lived nearby incase she was free and fancied it – to our delight she was!

One pair of skis to the good, we found somewhere to get cars off the road and had just finished our sandwiches when Gill arrived – perfect timing. We headed off up the track – easy walking so far 8)

It was easy underfoot and we had to take care to not get overexcited and go too fast – I’d just struggle later on. The track wove in and out of the trees giving us some views towards what could have been Benaquallie

Bennachie

It was a beautiful day – even better than forecast 8)

The track wound around and gradually gained height. We then took a smaller path through a gate – this took us through some trees, still climbing

The trees had offered some shelter from the sun – now we were out onto the open hillside it was very warm!

Looking back towards Bennachie

At last we were at the top and we could see Morven with the Cairngorms behind

Lochnagar

Summit of Pressendye

Morven with (I think) Ben Avon behind

It hadn’t been a particularly difficult climb, but even the easiest of things give me trouble nowadays, so we sat down and enjoyed the views, and the company! Being a bit of a hermit, I was surprised just how awesome it was to see another friend 8)

After a nice long break, we decided to head back down. Malky suggested an alternative route, and normally this earns him a slap but on this occasion we all agreed it looked doable :lol:

Heading down a lovely track (why can’t all hills be this good underfoot :lol: )

Helicopter flying overhead

We took a shortcut through the forest to avoid going all the way around Pittenderich – this almost ended in disaster but fortunately the path was just really wiggly – and finally we were on a track again

We managed to cross the burn easily enough (although it would definitely be trickier if it had rained) and were on a muddy track. We met a man doing some fences and stopped for a wee chat. We could blame him for not looking at the map and getting lost….but that would probably be unfair :lol:

We missed a turning on the track and ended up at the farm at Burnside – this meant a slightly longer route and small amount of extra ascent. I’d been having a relatively decent day for me, but I definitely wasn’t amused by this :lol:

Gill invited us back to her garden for some tea and cake – well, it would have been rude to say no :lol: The three of us managed to devour and entire cake 8)

We eventually dragged ourselves away from tea and cake and found ourselves a very easy camp spot to rustle up some dinner

It wasn’t the world’s most amazing sunset, but it was a nice spot and did the job!
Attachments

activity_6628587610.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Pressendye with another human!

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:54 pm

We went up the northern half of your route six years ago and really enjoyed it for its views of the surroundings and ease of access. It's also a name that seems to trip off the tongue though that's a matter of opinion, of course. It seems also to have been the subject of a name change though and must, at one point, have been considered the coldest place in Scotland:
http://www.cairngormclub.org.uk/journals/PDFs/Articles/J044/The%20Cairngorm%20Club%20Journal%20044%20-%20The%20Hill%20of%20Cushnie%20WM.pdf
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland