walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Munros of The Grey Corries

4 Munros of The Grey Corries


Postby gld73 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:34 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 23/08/2021

Time taken: 9.8 hours

Distance: 27.5 km

Ascent: 2100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MWIS had said 80% chance of cloud free munros, staying dry and very little wind. The latter points were correct, though unfortunately I managed to pick munros that were in the 20% of not being cloud free, at least until the latter part of the walk. Still an enjoyable day though. I'd thought I might do the 3 munros on the full ridge walk one day then Stob Ban the second day, but got there and realised I could do all 4 in one walk (so did the 2 corbetts the second day instead). Saves my tyres having to drive all the way along the rough track again doing all 6 hills from there in one trip.
(Route map is right, just with the slightly wrong start/end point, as I was parked at the track junction)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts


APDC8350.JPG
Parked at the track junction, though there's room for more vehicles further along the track

APDC8351.JPG
Got a bit of jump when I saw the slightly creepy looking Wee Minister. Same the next morning too when I walked past it again!

APDC8352.JPG
Corbett of Cruach Innse in the clag on the left of the Lairig Leagach, the munros on the right were never visible today as I headed up the pass. Fortunately I was back to do the corbetts the next morning in beautiful weather to get the views I'd missed today.

APDC8353.JPG
Stuck my head in the nice wee bothy as I passed by

APDC8354.JPG
Wasn't sure if I should have taken a boggier path off to the right very soon after crossing the burn, but then a short distance later came across the drier, clearly marked path leaving the track to head up Stob Ban

APDC8355.JPG
Plodded up the ridge with no views to distract me...

APDC8356.JPG
The cloud cleared briefly at one point, nice to see what I was heading for. I thought this was the start of the clouds completely lifting for the rest of the walk, but alas, no.

APDC8357.JPG
The best view I managed to get from Stob Ban's summit. I did wonder whether to do this hill on its own and then do the other 3 munros the next day, but thought I'd at least have a look at the steep scree path down the other side to see just how bad it was.

APDC8359.JPG
Had a look down the scree, and the path(s) zig zagging down looked okay, I've managed worse...so I continued the walk, heading down towards the small lochan on the bealach between Stob Ban and the next target, Stob Choire Claurigh

APDC8360.JPG
View back up the scree to Stob Ban's summit having made it down without any problems surprisingly. I have a healthy dislike of scree descents since falling on one in Skye and being very lucky to get away with ruined trousers and a leg wound I glued closed to be able to continue down. Stob Ban's scree descent was nowhere near as vicious!

APDC8362.JPG
Continuing down to the bealach and lochan, the ascent up Stob Choire Claurigh ahead was grassy, then boulders higher up, but all starightforward

APDC8365.JPG
No views from Stob Choire Claurigh's summit cairn, so I'll chuck in a rare summit selfie instead

APDC8366.JPG
At least on a narrow, well trodden ridge walk, it's generally fairly obvious which way to go

APDC8367.JPG
Once on the main ridge, Stob Ban looked small in comparison any time the cloud cleared, I wouldn't have looked over and thought "that's a munro"

APDC8368.JPG
Tried to take a photo whenever cloud lifted - this the view back to Stob Choire Claurigh.

APDC8370.JPG
Caisteal area I think?

APDC8371.JPG
Stob Coire an Laoigh summit

APDC8372.JPG
The glimpses of the ridge were impressive when they came, but it was a shame not to have unbroken views throughout. Still, it stayed dry, warm and with little wind throughout the day, so I can't complain too much

APDC8373.JPG
Heading up to Stob Coire Easain on the right (not one of the munros on the ridge), it was looking like the fourth of the munro of the day, Sgurr Choinnich Mor, on the left, would have its summit in cloud for me too

APDC8374.JPG
...but the cloud started lifting a bit higher as I got to the top of Stob Coire Easain and at last I started to get some views. Better late than never!

APDC8376.JPG
Aonach Beag and Aonach Mor started to make an appearance

APDC8377.JPG
When I'd been walking along the ridge in the clag, I'd had no idea it looked like that!

APDC8378.JPG
Heading down the slabby, rocky ridge towards the now-clear Sgurr Choinich Mor ahead. On the way down this section, twice I veered too far off to the right, once on a good path which went too far off direction, then when I got back on the ridge, I went right again down a small gap/chute, which was okay but not as good as just sticking to the centre of the ridge on the rocks and slabs all the way. I did that on the way back up and it was a really enjoyable semi-scramble.

APDC8379.JPG
From the bealach, Stob Coire Easain and Stob Coire an Laoigh now completely clear

APDC8381.JPG
At last, a munro summit not in the cloud

APDC8382.JPG
View from Sgurr Choinich Mor's small summit cairn back to today's other mountains - Stob Ban on the right still looking like the baby of the group

APDC8388.JPG
I returned down and back up to Sgurr Choinnich Mor, then took the descent down NNE. Once on the grassy section, I got to look back at the west side of the Grey Corries ridge, summits still in and out of the clouds

APDC8389.JPG
Nice easy descent down the grassy ridge, which then dropped down towards a forestry area with a gate to aim for

So I didn't get the spectacular views people get in perfect weather, but I stayed the night, and got great weather for the 2 corbetts the next day at least :D
gld73
 
Posts: 630
Munros:157   Corbetts:64
Grahams:52   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:66   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:59   Islands:13
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
Location: Inverness

Re: 4 Munros of The Grey Corries

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Great report with excellent information for those of us planning this (someday 😃).

Sorry you didn't get the views that your efforts deserved.
User avatar
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 173
Munros:73   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:3
Joined: Oct 10, 2017
Location: Lempäälä - Finland
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).




Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AdamJCollins, BlackPanther, Fiona shannon, Gbrown057 and 91 guests