walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maoile Lunndaidh in perfect conditions

Maoile Lunndaidh in perfect conditions

Postby gld73 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 pm

Route description: Maoile Lunndaidh

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh

Date walked: 02/09/2021

Time taken: 7.7 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Always had in my head this would be a tough walk with a long walk in, potentially difficult river crossing, uncertainty over best way up and down and difficult navigation in cloud, all for an unspectacular hill. No idea why I thought that, I enjoyed the day and had no real problems - it was a beautiful day after several dry days though, so the ideal time to do it (though only one other person doing this hill today from what I saw). Navigation wasn't a problem with no cloud, bogs were reasonably dried out or avoidable, burns could easily be crossed on exposed rocks, and even the long walk in and out on the track was okay. I'd probably only think about doing it in those perfect conditions again though!
APDC8459.JPG
View back to Fuar Tholl, Sgurr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor from the high point of the track

APDC8460.JPG
I left the track here with Glenuiag Lodge just up ahead

APDC8461.JPG
Setting off over the boggy ground, this was the view of Maoile Lunndaidh ahead. There was one dark, uninviting stretch of slow moving water to cross early on which took a couple of minutes to find a good place to cross, but other than that the ground wasn't too bad

APDC8462.JPG
Approaching the Allt Crom-allt, though I couldn't see the crossing point yet as I'd have to drop down to it. I was going to do the route anti-clockwise, so after crossing the burn, went straight up the steep slope on the very right of the picture

APDC8463.JPG
After the recent dry spell, it was no problem at all to cross the Am Crom-allt where it met the Allt an Fhuar-thuill Bhig. Still enough water to see the waterfalls though, and a good place to refill water bottles.

APDC8465.JPG
Going up this way was much steeper than I'd expected, though photos never show this! This was looking back down on the crossing point where the burns meet, the usually very boggy area I'd covered from the track, the small plantation area that I'd just passed before leaving the track, and the impressive corbett of Sgurr nan Ceannaichean (which I've only done with Moruisg from the other side).

APDC8466.JPG
Still doesn't convey just how steep it was!

APDC8470.JPG
Once the steep section was done, it was a pleasant walk over short grass towards the summit, with views down into Fuar Tholl Mor corrie and across to the nearby munro Moruisg

APDC8472.JPG
Maoile Lunndaidh's summit, view to Loch Monar

APDC8473.JPG
...looking NNW to Moruisg (right) and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean (left)

APDC8474.JPG
...and west to Sgurr a'Chaorachain

APDC8476.JPG
Nice easy stroll from the small summit cairn to the larger cairn at what was previously thought to be the high point

APDC8478.JPG
Descent route was down the wide NW ridge, a mix of low grass, stones, then heather near the bottom

APDC8479.JPG
Waterfalls coming from the outfall of Lochan an Fhuar-tholl. More good opportunities for water bottle filling around here

APDC8481.JPG
Rather than head back to the same crossing point of the Am Crom-allt, I headed down towards Glenuaig Lodge just to vary it a bit. The burns crossed were beautifully clear, tempting to go in for a dip on a day like this

APDC8485.JPG
Had a quick look in the walkers shelter / tiny bothy next to Glenuaig Lodge as I arrived back on the track

APDC8483.JPG
Pano of Maoile Lunndaidh before starting the long walk back to the car, a cracking day, really enjoyed it!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Maoile Lunndaidh in perfect conditions

Postby Coop » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:24 pm

Hey G, did this a few days after you, it is a steep ascent upto about 850m.
I enjoyed the walk in and out on this one
Hope you also got out the past few days
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Maoile Lunndaidh in perfect conditions

Postby gld73 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Yes, a long walk in and out, but nice views so not the soul sapping slog I'd expected! Shame our days didn't coincide, you've made quite some progress since we last met ...only 4 to go to compleation, wow! :clap:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland