walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Overdoing it again - "Malky-assisted" Beinn Ghobhlach camp

Overdoing it again - "Malky-assisted" Beinn Ghobhlach camp

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Route description: Beinn Ghobhlach

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Ghobhlach

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc a'Bhaid-rallaich

Date walked: 24/04/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11.98 km

Ascent: 779m

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of those trips where I took hundreds of photos and even narrowing it down to 50 was hard. So I gave up – there are many :lol: We made the stunning drive down to Badrallach (my first trip down that road) and parked up at the end of the road. It was a stunning day and the views back up Little Loch Broom were amazing. I'd (stupidly) driven all the way so I was already knackered :roll:

Looking across to Sail Mhor and Beinn Dearg Bheag peeking out to the left

After making sure we had everything packed (most of it in Malky’s rucksack :lol: ) we set out along the track towards Scoraig – it was easy underfoot to begin with 8)

Caterpillar

Despite the sun beating down, there was a chilly wind and it wasn’t as warm as it looked!

The cliffs below us looked interesting

After around 2km we left the track and headed up a grassy ridge. The ground was not bad underfoot and there were traces of path which helped. It was steep and the sun was beating down on us. I wasn’t feeling as bad as sometimes but it was still slow work and a struggle.

However, when we popped out the top of the ridge, the views across to the summit of Beinn Ghoblach were fabulous (as well as being soul-destroyingly far away :shock:

We found a large slab to sit on and have a good long break – I reckoned we’d more than earned it. The lochan could be our last real chance to refill the water bottles until the next day so we drank as much as we could.

Looking across the Summer Isles to north Lewis

Cnoc a’ Bhaid-rallaich – possible target for the next day

Beinn Ghobhlach across Loch na h-Uidhe

Sadly break time was over and we plodded our way around the end of the lochan and began heading up the steep side of the mountain – as we looked back we realised that it would probably have been quicker to cut in between the lochans :lol:
The views of An Teallach were awesome 8)

The steep hillside was a struggle – the ground wasn’t that bad at all but the lack of path meant it was very difficult for me to plod slowly. Malky did his best to help push me up things but it was hard work - I should probably have given up (might have avoided feeling terrible later on) but hindsight... :roll: We could see the wee Loch a’ Bhealaich below – we were hoping to visit it on the way down – with Seana Bhraigh and the Beinn Dearg munros in the distance

As we got higher we picked up bits of path and easier ground which helped a lot. We also started to catch the wind which didn’t bode too well for pitching the tent :lol:

Finally on the ridge it was a short stroll to the summit where the views out to Beinn Mor Coigach were visible – wow 8)

An Teallach and Sail Mhor with the Fisherfield Deargs peeking through behind

Fannaichs

We found a nice flat spot a few metres from the summit and got the tent pitched – it was a bit blowy but we thought it would be ok especially with us in it :lol:

An impressive skyline of Beinn Alligin & Baosbheinn

Summit of Beinn Ghobhlach

The Stornoway ferry heading out from Ullapool

Now we were able to relax we found a sheltered side of the large summit shelter and were able to enjoy some hot chocolate with wonderful views. As the evening drew on we enjoyed our dinner and the light changing on An Teallach 8) Although I'd felt pretty rough on the way up, now on the top and able to relax I felt a little better.

At last the sun began its descent

It was definitely chilly and as the sun dipped further the temperature started to plummet – we shifted further around the shelter as the wind direction spun around :lol:

The Western Isles had some cool fog or maybe just a reflection – either way it looked really cool 8)

An Teallach – getting dimmer

Clisham and the Harris hills now clearer with the sun gone

Some lovely bouncy light as the last of the daylight disappears and we retreated to the tent and our sleeping bags

There were all sorts of aurora alerts pinging around but sadly the moon was too bright and the clouds in the wrong place. It made for some cool shots though…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following morning I woke up in time to see the moon finally dropping towards the horizon

Not the best sunrise ever but some cool clouds and colours

A few hours sleep later, things had warmed up and we (by “we” I mean “Malky”) got breakfast on :lol: Outside the tent things were even clearer than the day before

We sat around for a while just enjoying being there. As soon as we started to move I was going to start feeling rubbish again so it was nice to just relax. Eventually we packed up and headed along the ridge – we were going to drop down towards Coire Crom and cut back towards the wee lochan

Looking back to the summit

We had a wander a short way along the other side of the horseshoe – enough to get an uninterrupted view of Beinn Mor Coigach

Looking down the ridge and out to the end of the peninsula. It would have been nice to go all the way to the end of the ridge but I figured it would be too much (let's face it - I'd probably already done too much :roll: )

Ben More Assynt with Klibreck to the right

As we started heading down the steep slopes we could see the enticing Loch a’ Bhealaich ahead, which Cnoc a’ Bhaid-rallaich behind.

It was steep and felt endless but eventually we were down at the bealach where there were some cool rock formations

A lochan and a beach 8)

We dumped our bags and went for a paddle – it was lovely here and we could have stayed for hours (although it was far too cold for actual swimming!)

Eventually we got our boots back on and began to head up the side of Cnoc a’ Bhaid-rallaich – I totally fell for Malky’s “it’s actually easier to go over it than round it” bullsh*t :lol:

Despite not being very far or much ascent, it was hard work! We stopped several times for views as we crossed the hillside and finally were on the final approach. As we took a break I saw we were looking directly through the gap between An Teallach and Sail Mhor towards the impressive ridge of Beinn Dearg Bheag. Nice 8)

This rock looks like a dragon head!

Finally on the summit I was pretty broken and lay down for a while, but it was yet another spectacular viewpoint. We were now looking directly across Little Loch Broom to An Teallach 8)

Beinn Dearg munros and the Fannaichs

Beinn Dearg munros with the Marilyn Beinn nam Ban in front – that hill would not be happening today!

Cnoc a’ Bhaid-rallaich summit

A slightly different angle on Ben Mor Coigach & Cul Mor/Beag

Looking back to Beinn Ghobhlach

We had a good lie down on the slabs here (I was pretty pooped) and Malky is contemplating how he’s going to get me down from here :lol:

Eventually he did get me moving – we headed pretty much directly downhill as far as we could until we needed to start weaving around crags.

The ground got gradually worse as we dropped lower and we had to dodge around a bit at the bottom to avoid a fence, but eventually we were on the road and a short (but uphill :shock: ) walk later we were back at the car. I collapsed into the passenger seat and threw the keys at Malky – there was no way I was driving, I was barely conscious :lol:

As it was such a lovely day we stopped at the viewpoint looking down to Ullapool…

…then decided to look at Corrieshalloch Gorge – I’d driven past so many times but never got round to stopping. The photos don’t do it justice at all but it was terrifyingly impressive!

The couple of minutes walk back to the car were a huge struggle so I zonked out in the car (the best way to appreciate Malky’s driving :shock: ) and let him get on with it :lol: Yet again I'd done far too much and would pay for it, but adapting from a very active lifestyle to one where I can't do things is so difficult :shock: :?
Attachments

activity_6671692326.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Overdoing it again - "Malky-assisted" Beinn Ghobhlach ca

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Heck - I can see exactly why you took a million and a half pics! What utterly stunning weather you had - so amazingly clear! I've had a few good weather times up there (eg when visiting the Fisherfields), but nothing as dramatic as that.

On the strength of a very positive forecast I took the 10 hour drive up to Assynt last month, only for the forecast to change completely 12 hours before I got there, such that all the peaks were shrouded in clag :( and I had to abandon ship. I'm still scanning the forecasts hoping for a clear break to get up to the far North West again - but the forecasts seem to be getting less and less reliable :roll: .

The date of this report reminds me what a long time you've been battling long covid. What a b****r :( .

Re: Malky's driving: I recall following him on Skye a year or two ago, and that was bad enough :D .

Keep well.

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Hillbeback » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Hi Jackie,
Stunning scenery and the perfect weather made it even better.

I am echoing your last sentence but for a different reason. Since January this year l have had an ME relapse. Kept thinking/hoping it would only last a few months but here l am still struggling with it. Not all bad days but like you, when l overdo it, l pay the price.

I'm hoping be next May as l celebrate my 60th, l will be much better and out walking/climbing again.

I hope your recovery continues to improve
Take care.
Moira (Hillbeback)
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Stunning photos from an amazing place and well done for overdoing it :clap: :clap: . Beinn Ghobhlach may be "just" a graham, but it packs a punch. Several years ago I joined Dogplodder on a wander up there, the weather conditions looked similar to yours, except for one thing. All the way up to the ridge we'd been in the lee of the wind, but when we reach the ridge we almost had to crawl to the summit the wind was so strong :roll: :lol: :lol: . Standing up to take photos was out of the question, as for walking around the ridge, no way!

On a more serious note I hope you are seeing some improvement with your long covid condition. I only hope that the attention given to long covid helps to pay off in terms serious research into a group of viral/postviral conditions, including long covid, ME, fibromyalgia and even Lymme Disease. All the best for your recovery, totally empathise with the frustration you are experiencing. :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dav2930 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:27 am

Looked a fantastic overnighter in superb weather. Great photos of the wonderful views. I really admire you for getting out and pushing yourself, enjoying such marvelous environments despite suffering from that wretched long covid. It must be so frustrating, having been such a hardcore walker beforehand! Here's hoping the long covid doesn't last much longer, or they soon find a cure for it.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Anne C » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Lovely report from a lovely hill, one we did many moons ago - I've never forgotten the superb views all around.
Sorry to hear you are still suffering but you are doing so well re being so active and hill-going! :clap: :clap:
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:27 pm

I've always looked at this hill, and did again last week, as I drive past heading somewhere else, or sit in Ullapool eating chips. That little report shows I need to stop looking and add it to the list. The unique location means those views are fabulous.

I do hope the recovery improves more quickly. In the meantime, the very fact you've still been getting out at all is pretty inspirational and does you great credit.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:18 am

Alteknacker wrote:Heck - I can see exactly why you took a million and a half pics! What utterly stunning weather you had - so amazingly clear! I've had a few good weather times up there (eg when visiting the Fisherfields), but nothing as dramatic as that.

On the strength of a very positive forecast I took the 10 hour drive up to Assynt last month, only for the forecast to change completely 12 hours before I got there, such that all the peaks were shrouded in clag :( and I had to abandon ship. I'm still scanning the forecasts hoping for a clear break to get up to the far North West again - but the forecasts seem to be getting less and less reliable :roll: .

The date of this report reminds me what a long time you've been battling long covid. What a b****r :( .

Re: Malky's driving: I recall following him on Skye a year or two ago, and that was bad enough :D .

Keep well.

AK

Thanks - yes It's been 18 months now and I'm so done with it. Sorry to hear you've not managed to enjoy the good weather - I was thinking the other day it's been a decent summer, but I guess with less distance to travel it's much easier to pick and choose days.

Yes I heard about Skye - I think he takes it as a challenge :shock:

Hillbeback wrote:Hi Jackie,
Stunning scenery and the perfect weather made it even better.

I am echoing your last sentence but for a different reason. Since January this year l have had an ME relapse. Kept thinking/hoping it would only last a few months but here l am still struggling with it. Not all bad days but like you, when l overdo it, l pay the price.

I'm hoping be next May as l celebrate my 60th, l will be much better and out walking/climbing again.

I hope your recovery continues to improve
Take care.
Moira (Hillbeback)

Oh I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering too - that sucks! Fingers crossed things improve for you and you're able to get back out and about :D

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning photos from an amazing place and well done for overdoing it :clap: :clap: . Beinn Ghobhlach may be "just" a graham, but it packs a punch. Several years ago I joined Dogplodder on a wander up there, the weather conditions looked similar to yours, except for one thing. All the way up to the ridge we'd been in the lee of the wind, but when we reach the ridge we almost had to crawl to the summit the wind was so strong :roll: :lol: :lol: . Standing up to take photos was out of the question, as for walking around the ridge, no way!

On a more serious note I hope you are seeing some improvement with your long covid condition. I only hope that the attention given to long covid helps to pay off in terms serious research into a group of viral/postviral conditions, including long covid, ME, fibromyalgia and even Lymme Disease. All the best for your recovery, totally empathise with the frustration you are experiencing. :D :D

Thanks - sounds like you had more wind on your trip! Still, at least it would have kept the midges away....
There is a lot of research happening now (which is good) but any findings are going to take years to come out. I'm certainly hoping the fact that LC is big news at the moment will help ME, CFS etc sufferers that have been ignored for years - hopefully some of the learning can be shared and working conditions/flexibility improved.

dav2930 wrote:Looked a fantastic overnighter in superb weather. Great photos of the wonderful views. I really admire you for getting out and pushing yourself, enjoying such marvelous environments despite suffering from that wretched long covid. It must be so frustrating, having been such a hardcore walker beforehand! Here's hoping the long covid doesn't last much longer, or they soon find a cure for it.

Thankyou - yeah it sucks, not knowing if I'm making it worse by trying to do a bit when I feel up to it, or if I just need to wait it out. When it's such hard work it's less enjoyable and I question if it's worth it! Looking back at the photos, it's easy to forget how hard it was though :lol:

Anne C wrote:Lovely report from a lovely hill, one we did many moons ago - I've never forgotten the superb views all around.
Sorry to hear you are still suffering but you are doing so well re being so active and hill-going! :clap: :clap:

Thankyou - yes I'd been meaning to go up it for years! Glad to finally get the chance even if it was horribly hard work and I suffered for it afterwards

Mal Grey wrote:I've always looked at this hill, and did again last week, as I drive past heading somewhere else, or sit in Ullapool eating chips. That little report shows I need to stop looking and add it to the list. The unique location means those views are fabulous.

I do hope the recovery improves more quickly. In the meantime, the very fact you've still been getting out at all is pretty inspirational and does you great credit.

Thankyou :) Yes the location is pretty awesome, such a perfect line on so many good views! You could probably canoe there :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Gairloch Bob » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:23 pm

Hi - Fabulous pictures, great report. I am lucky to live not so far from this intriguing little 'peak' (it's one of several sails - pron. sarl, that are in the area. Sail Mhor just over the way is one such, the Big Heel. Like a giant stomped his heel into a giant sand(stone) castle!

But my interest is about your 'long covid'. I only just read about your trip, hence this very late contribution. I have suffered from ME/CFS for more than a decade now. My experience of big days out and backpacking trips sound something like yours. Hard going on the day/s, total crash later. Almost always 48 hours later for me from the day of return (although I did once have a monumental crash while in the middle of the Fisherfield area, many, many miles from home! I take extra food for such contingencies, adding weight to the pack, a necessary evil), my temperature crashes - 'flu like symptoms' many ME sufferers will be familiar with - and total wipe out for 24 hours, followed by mild bounce back a day or two later. Sadly, I have had to have several big-ish operations - new knee, hip, both shoulders fettled, one elbow likewise, metal plate in one foot etc. I have had serious reactions to such surgery, but only weeks afterwards! These crashes were much longer lasting, and really horrible, although a return to the previous status quo has prevailed each time.

I am curious about long covid, and how it might relate to ME, for which there is no cure and little helpful treatment. Have you returned to 'normal' yet? Maybe there is something for us all to learn?

Many thanks, should you ever find this, sincerely,

Bob (07500661681)
Gairloch Bob
Scrambler

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:33 pm

Gairloch Bob wrote:Hi - Fabulous pictures, great report. I am lucky to live not so far from this intriguing little 'peak' (it's one of several sails - pron. sarl, that are in the area. Sail Mhor just over the way is one such, the Big Heel. Like a giant stomped his heel into a giant sand(stone) castle!

But my interest is about your 'long covid'. I only just read about your trip, hence this very late contribution. I have suffered from ME/CFS for more than a decade now. My experience of big days out and backpacking trips sound something like yours. Hard going on the day/s, total crash later. Almost always 48 hours later for me from the day of return (although I did once have a monumental crash while in the middle of the Fisherfield area, many, many miles from home! I take extra food for such contingencies, adding weight to the pack, a necessary evil), my temperature crashes - 'flu like symptoms' many ME sufferers will be familiar with - and total wipe out for 24 hours, followed by mild bounce back a day or two later. Sadly, I have had to have several big-ish operations - new knee, hip, both shoulders fettled, one elbow likewise, metal plate in one foot etc. I have had serious reactions to such surgery, but only weeks afterwards! These crashes were much longer lasting, and really horrible, although a return to the previous status quo has prevailed each time.

I am curious about long covid, and how it might relate to ME, for which there is no cure and little helpful treatment. Have you returned to 'normal' yet? Maybe there is something for us all to learn?

Many thanks, should you ever find this, sincerely,

Bob (07500661681)

Hi there - sorry for the delayed response, I've not spent a lot of time on here over the last couple of years.
I've recently recovered and am in process of building fitness back up - I had to reduce activity a lot more than I thought and found things that helped, but I'm good now. I've done a load of research into all this so maybe I'll drop you a DM - I'd be really happy to chat!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:22 pm

Read this thinking it was a recent one, and also "This can't be right, surely she's on the mend." In retrospect maybe you tried to get out again too soon. Who knows. Thank heavens this isn't how it is now. Gairloch Bob. Someone who worked for me had ME, or that is what she eventually self-diagnosed. Medics are very reluctant to diagnose it. She worked three mornings a week, and was wiped out at the end of each and had to spend the afternoons in bed. At one point she said "I think I have Gulf War disease." At my sceptical look, she said "Bear with me. Gulf War veterans are wiped out after tiny amounts of effort, and what they are now attributing it to is spraying the tents with insecticides, it's some sort of nerve thing." She used to spray her ponies with insecticide INSIDE the stables, and thinks that'show she got it. She used to be so energetic, riding them all over the place, and used to cliff-climb before she had kids. They retired down south, but her son is still around, and last time I met him said she still has it, since 1997. At least if you are diagnosed officially someone is taking it seriously.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:32 pm

Sgurr wrote:Read this thinking it was a recent one, and also "This can't be right, surely she's on the mend." In retrospect maybe you tried to get out again too soon. Who knows. Thank heavens this isn't how it is now. Gairloch Bob. Someone who worked for me had ME, or that is what she eventually self-diagnosed. Medics are very reluctant to diagnose it. She worked three mornings a week, and was wiped out at the end of each and had to spend the afternoons in bed. At one point she said "I think I have Gulf War disease." At my sceptical look, she said "Bear with me. Gulf War veterans are wiped out after tiny amounts of effort, and what they are now attributing it to is spraying the tents with insecticides, it's some sort of nerve thing." She used to spray her ponies with insecticide INSIDE the stables, and thinks that'show she got it. She used to be so energetic, riding them all over the place, and used to cliff-climb before she had kids. They retired down south, but her son is still around, and last time I met him said she still has it, since 1997. At least if you are diagnosed officially someone is taking it seriously.

Exactly - FAR too much, FAR too soon, and it took me FAR too long to realise that I needed to cut down rather than pushing through (my personality was definitely working against me here!)
Jaxter
Wanderer

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland