walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hard but Fun route

Hard but Fun route

Postby Tamura-san » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 28/08/2021

Time taken: 5.83 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1356m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

M20210828-Meall_Lighiche-Glencoe.PNG

My primary target was the Meall Lighiche for my Corbetts collection, however I had a curiosity to try to Sgurr na h-Ulaidh for my fun.
After completed this route, I realized that I chose slightly different route compared with other recommendations.

20210828aStart02s.jpg

Started from Parking spot beside A82, then followed the Ford towards to Glencoe Mountain Lodge.After passed there, I see beautiful shape of Meall Lighiche.
I followed a faint path on left side of the river and lift my body up, the I left from the path for heading to the ridge. Grassy steep slope made me feel tired.

20210828aStart04s.jpg

When I reached a ridge, I saw a beautiful mountains on North side.
It was very easy to get the summit of Meall Lighiche, and took some shots for my memory.

20210828cFrmLighiche01s.jpg

20210828cFrmLighiche03s.jpg

From here, I decided to go to Sgurr na h-Ulaidh, but it looked very steep scramble line.
So I was a little bit nervous to try. :shock:
20210828dTo_h-Ulaidh01s.jpg

It was a tough scrambling line at the beginning.
Then I saw some vertical rock formation in front of me. :shock:
I tried to avoid tough scrambling line and traversed to left side. Eventually, I found easy scramble point to pass the rocky area. :wink:
The red line would be my route to tackle.
I thought this was the line to try, but after completed this trip I realized that I had to tackle west side of the ridge rather than this... it was too late anyway.

20210828dTo_h-Ulaidh01s3.jpg

From there, access to the summit of Sgurr na h-Ulaidh was very simple and easy.
I felt a great success of my trial. Great views from the summit was cheered me up !!! :lol:

20210828eFrm_h-Ulaidh01s.jpg

After a short break and lunch, I started to traverse to Stob an Fhuarain.

20210828fFhuarain01s.jpg

Then to Aonach Dubh a"Ghlinne

20210828gFrmFhuarain04s.jpg

Grassy downhill but steep from there was another fun, although my legs became tired a little.
I tried not to meet stalking path as much as possible, then finally met a river.
Final part was easy walk.
I was lucky to tackle this route on such a fine day !!! :D
Tamura-san
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:2   Donalds:7

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland