walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Lora, a beach and MORE CAKE

Beinn Lora, a beach and MORE CAKE

Postby GillC » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Lora

Date walked: 05/09/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.25 km

Ascent: 368m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lynne and I had popped up to Oban to visit Heather and a couple of outdoor days was planned, We had ferried it over to Lismore yesterday for a 16km saunter round the islands northern coastline and interior.

This morning, with a short climb in prospect before Lynne headed off for and island trip we headed to Benderloch for a dash up Beinn Lora. Parking up at the car park and info board, we read about the lower level forest walks in the area before heading off.

P1080869.JPG
Nice day for a morning wander

Its a simple enough trip on the main forest paths before leaving and joining a smaller path as you leave the treeline. The summit and trig clearly visible above.

P1080870.JPG
Above the trees and looking to Tralee beach

P1080871.JPG
The summits up there, somewhere

This is Heathers local hill so she knows it very well and had warned of a boggy section as you cross over the open ground before the final steeper ascent, thankfully, with little rain recently, this was no problem, mainly stodgy but not too wet so we hopped over with no issues.

P1080876.JPG
Nearly there

We were up at the trig after an hour, clear and breezy with good enough views all around.

P1080880.JPG
Me and my mate trig

P1080877.JPG
Selfie from the trig

P1080883.JPG
A breezy but fab day

P1080872.JPG
Oban airport

We headed off and took a slightly different descent once back in the trees to give us a kind of circular return on the lower stretches.

Lots of time to spare before Lynne had to head off so we went down on to Tralee beach at Port Selma, found a bench and had some lunch.

Heather and I then wandered the length of the beach and back, tea and cake a the wee café before I headed south and home. Great wee hill and a lovely few hours to end the weekend.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland