walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mayar & Dreish

Mayar & Dreish

Postby cbuchanan3 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 11/09/2021

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having booked the September weekend away at a site in Forfar there was really only one walk we were going to do. Looking at the distance I was thinking it might be a bit of a stretch for my youngest, but having a look at the route/profile though we would go for it and see how it went, with the option of coming straight off Mayar and back down the Kilbo path if she was struggling.

It's a lovely nice gentle start, through the forest on good tracks and about an hour in we popped out of the trees and into the beautiful surrounding of Corrie Fee. My son was keen to show us where they do the "river jump" when staying at Scott Lodge with the BB, though his mum wasn't so keen on him doing it with his rucksack on his back :lol:

I braced the youngest one for what I told her was the hardest part of the day and we set off up the track next to the waterfall. It's a cracking walk - nothing too difficult or steep to give any problems and it was lovely to keep looking back down and enjoy the spectacular views. By the time we got the the top of the falls it was clear she was needing a pit-stop for some fuel so we stopped for a bit to let her have something. After that about 20/25mins had us straight up the final drag to the top of Mayar and some spectacular views in all directions but particularly to the South glens including Glen Prosen and to the West towards Glenshee. Taking some shelter on the south side out of the wind, we briefly had some lunch. I pointed out the path and told the youngest it was about half an hour downhill/flat before the wee climb you could see up Little Driesh and then a fairly gentle climb to the main top. She was up for it and so off we set.

Timings were spot on and half an hour after leaving the top of Mayar we were at the split in the path at the top of the Shank . A push up the steep section to Little Driesh and then a nice easy walk to the main top although the wind was at our backs. Looking back to the West we could see some cloud closing in, so stuck on the jackets just in case. We didn't hang around too long at the top and headed down to the Kilbo path and followed it down Glendoll Forest. The youngest is a bit apprehensive about coming downhill when there's "big steps" etc so progress was slowish but no point in rushing and my wife/son kept stopping up ahead to let us catch-up. As we approached the trees again tiredness was kicking in and the last section through where the trees have been cleared was hard going for her - don't mind admitting it but my legs were feeling it too although I think that was due to me going at her pace rather than what was natural (my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Some spectacular views North to Craig Mellon now that the trees have been cleared with a few opportunities for some cracking photographs before picking up the forest paths again for the last k or so to get you back to Glen Doll car park.

Ended up taking us just under 6 hours to do the full loop which considering youngest one is only 10 year old was not bad going at all!

It's a cracking walk - with some spectacular scenery given our luck with the weather. My wife say's probably her favourite walk so far! :D
Attachments
IMG_20210911_120215.jpg
Out of the Woods!
IMG_20210911_120234.jpg
Corrie Fee
IMG_20210911_124607.jpg
Looking back over Corrie Fee and beyond
IMG_20210911_134647.jpg
Lunch at the top of Mayar
IMG_20210911_135211.jpg
Looking West towards Glenshee
IMG_20210911_135224.jpg
Looking South towards Glen Prosen
IMG_20210911_135849.jpg
Summit selfie
IMG_20210911_140254.jpg
Path from Mayar heading to Driesh
IMG_20210911_142855.jpg
Looking South at path intersection
IMG_20210911_143410.jpg
Looking North at path intersection
IMG_20210911_150412.jpg
Looking East (ish) from Driesh top
IMG_20210911_151655.jpg
Weather closing in from the West
IMG_20210911_153422.jpg
Finish is back down there!
IMG_20210911_153435.jpg
Smiles on the way down!
IMG_20210911_154144.jpg
Looking over to Little Driesh and Driesh
IMG_20210911_162130.jpg
Craig Mellon
IMG_20210911_162521.jpg
Looking over Glendoll Forest

mayar-driesh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

cbuchanan3

Munros:15   
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland