walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe

Meall Buidhe

by Stretch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 03/04/2011

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 650m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Meall Buidhe

Postby Alastair S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Stretch wrote:The filter is a B&W 110ND, 10 stop. These exposures were only 6-10 seconds long, but I'm looking to get conditions in which I can do something past 30 seconds.

Love the waterfall pics - I'd say you got the exposures about right. I particularly like the third one (Falls of Dochart 4). If I was being picky (I which I quite patently am being :lol: ) there is a bit of a brown cast to them however. This is probably down to the filter. I got an expensive Lee 10 stop filter (as they are meant to be the best and most neutral) and it gives a distinct blue colour cast. Although this can be fairly easily fixed in most photo editors given the expensive I was a bit miffed. Anyway have only used it once so far - another visit to the Linn of Muick - and this is the result of a 3 minute exposure:
Steps by Alastair S, on Flickr

ps - thanks for that Canon photo forum link - I'm looking at getting a telephoto lens so this should help me decide which :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Love that new pic Alastair. I think the brown tone simply comes by way of my edits to the Raw file. The original shots had a slightly more neutral tone. I can't wait to upgrade my camera, still using the Rebel Xti 10.1mp from a few years ago. Don't have the money to be spending on new equipment at the moment, which is why I opted for the one filter instead of the Lee set up. As a fairly poor student living in a different country my motto remains, 'beggars can't be choosers!'
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mband » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Great pics of the fall Strech - one of my favourite stops.
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland