walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Earl's Seat from Ballagan Farm

Earl's Seat from Ballagan Farm

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 02/04/2021

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 615m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Eternal Winter Lockdown finally started to ease a little at the Easter weekend, so I took the opportunity to drive 4.999999 miles from the border of Glasgow and start my exercise (I even checked it was less than five miles in ArcGIS just to make double sure). My exercise was to finally climb the highest hill in the Camspies, and it was a great day for it! 8)

Glad I didn't drive over that!

Brought hand sanitiser with me for all the gates. I was still unvaccinated and you can't be too careful...

Eh, not walking through a herd of cows!! They terrify me even more than Covid. :shock:

The track takes big zig-zags so I went sharp right up the hill, and found another gate at the back of the field.

It ended up being quite a large detour but I had a couple of scary experiences with cows in 2015 and I don't go near them now...

This was a very steep field, but there's Glasgow Uni at least.

Finally found the track again, and gazed towards Tinto.

Glasgow Airport, maybe?

After all the extra zig-zags the track is quite gentle, and heads up onto Dumbreck (not the Glasgow district).

The big golf ball thing on top of Holehead.

Feels like it's been forever(!) :D

From Dumbreck the track follows the fence over some dips and up onto Earl's Seat.

Glaschu.

Nearly there.

Finally, after 1/3 of a century, the summit of the Campsies!

Arran (I think).

"And now the skyline's reached my eyes;
The ridge stands out in Highland skies.
I just cant believe I'm going home."

Returned by the same route. And I mean exactly the same route. Not going near those coos... :crazy:

RABBIT ON THE LOOSE (or hare)!!!

The parking space is a short hop along the road from Ballagan Farm. I think everyone climbs Earl's Seat from Dumgoyne but this is a fun route too.

Dunglass.

And some Runrig to finish off with! Not a bad day, especially in the context of the last year...... #GreatestOfAllTime
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland