walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the best way to tackle these two

Not the best way to tackle these two

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 18/09/2021

Time taken: 5.4 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 985m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With Parminder unavailable, this outing gives me a chance to pick off another 2 Munro's so that we can hopefully compleat together next year. George was available and offered to be my navigator. I suggested these 2 hills and George was more than happy as his views weren't perfect on his last visit. It is over 20 years since I last visited and I don't remember anything about them..
I picked George up just before 7am and we headed north, the 'new' part of the A9 certainly saves a few minutes heading north, it can be different heading south but that is a long story.
I checked the forecast late Friday evening and it had changed considerably for the better, wall to wall sunshine. So with that in mind I packed my sun cream and took my fleece out of my rucksack.
I really feel for anyone who relies upon weather forecasts as sadly they seem to be getting worse, the more the forecasters rely on technology the worse the forecasts are getting.
We arrived at the parking area in Fersit and it was very pleasant and once we started ascending we were both down to a short sleeved top.
However about half way up Chno Dearg, the cloud rolled in and we given a bit of a soaking by persistent drizzle and if that wasn't bad enough the route up Chno Dearg is non existent - mainly because very few walkers ascend it first. There is a fairly well trodden path just below the summit and at the start but the open hillside is just awful to ascend, long tufty grass, also a few peat hags and burns to avoid. George disappeared down a hole on the ascent as it wasn't visible and he ended up waist deep, unfortunately my phone was being kept dry.

Part of the large parking area - also doubles up as the start point for the Easains

Very little wind, not a ripple on the river

Nice property in the hamlet that is Fersit

The way ahead for us

There is a path of sorts heading slightly uphill, but that soon disappears and the struggle then begins

Looking back, weather looks much nicer behind us

Half a rainbow

That would be our second summit - Stob Coire Sgriodain, the much better and more interesting summit

Water feature, not that we needed one as the long grass was soaking and then the drizzle arrived

Looking back, I think you can see what the terrain is like, not back for descending - awful for ascending

One of the few photo's I took on the ascent - was trying to keep my phone dry

George arriving on the summit plateau of Chno Dearg

Summit cairn on Chno Dearg

We had our lunch on the sheltered side of Chno Dearg and boy had we earned it. I really struggled on the ascent, it isn't steep just relentless uneven long grass.

At long last a path of sorts and the cloud is starting to lift too, certainly cheered us up

The way ahead & the second summit in the distance, a bit of undulation to tackle before we get there

View under the cloud

The way ahead, looks like we have to go over the lump in the foreground first

First view of Loch Treig, the southern end

Now we have views, George has his camera out

Seeing more of Loch Treig now

One of quite a few pockets or seams of quartz

More quartz, note the swirling cloud

Looking back to Chno Dearg whilst on the final ascent of Stob Coire Sgriodain

The summit of Stob Coire Sgriodain, we were expecting more ascent so this was a pleasant surprise

Looking across to the Easains through the cloud

George going across to the sticky out bit on the summit

A bit of a crevice on the summit

Looking down on Loch Treig from on high

The descent route

Northern end of Loch Treig, really shows how low the water level is

The way down and back to the car

A bit of a steep bit on the descent

Local flora

Looking back to Stob Coire Sgriodain

Not exactly road worthy

A few camera photo's, Loch Laggan zoomed

Me on the sticky out bit, left my camera with George

Loch Laggan zoomed

Looking down on the parking area - zoomed

Spot the helicopter, there were 4 of them in total

Easy spot

George's photo's now - car park zoomed, only 2 other vehicles when we arrived

Me on the summit of SCG

Admiring the view

Chno Dearg

One thing I have learnt from this outing is - do not trust the weather forecast, always have a fleece in my rucksack I am also going to carry my waterproof trousers. I had my gaiters on but the problem both George and I had was the water was running down inside our gaiters into our boots and that isn't pleasant.
In a strange way our route (clockwise) probably worked out better as we got views on the better of the 2 summits, maybe it was our reward for the suffering we endured climbing Chno Dearg.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland