walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tyndrum to Inveroran (nearly)

Tyndrum to Inveroran (nearly)

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Route description: West Highland Way 5: Tyndrum to Inveroran

Date walked: 01/11/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi Folks. This is a walk that we enjoyed while I still had a dodgy leg (IT band problems meant that I could climb hills like a mountain goat but descend like a grumpy old goat!)

Arrived by Citylink coach in Tyndrum at 8.30 and it was pouring.

(No chance of Garry getting wet!)
001.JPG

Stopped off at Green Welly shop for supplies.

(Not too early to be eating walnut tablet- I hope!)

004.JPG

To start the walk go past the shop and you will see the WHW marker on your right-hand side.

(some fantastic tree sculptures)

005.JPG

Follow the path along and you soon leave the lightly forrested area behind.

You have hills on both sides and the A82 and rail tracks are your constant companions.
We passed a group of young boys heading up Beinn Odhar, no wonder they were looking less than pleased, the initial climb is a bit steep!

After an hour the rain was chucking it down. Couldn't see too many hills but there were plenty of waterfalls to enjoy!

007.JPG

The old military road is in good condition so despite the torrential rain the path never gets too boggy.

After about 2 hours the Bridge of Orchy station comes into view. It was a relief to get out of the rain and enjoy a coffee and quick read of some dodgy jokes that had been texted to me!!
013.JPG

My knee was beginning to stiffen up, so off we went towards Inveroran. The path after the bridge over the River Orchy disappeared in places because of flooding.

We climbed up towards Ben Inverveigh (which was heavily populated with deer) and once we passed Mam Carraigh, we decided to call it a day. There was almost zero visibilty and the desire to reach Inveroran waned somewhat.

On the bright side we now had plenty of time to enjoy the warmth and hospitality of the B of O hotel before our return journey on the Citylink bus.

022.JPG

A smashing walk to do no matter what the weather.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Tyndrum to Inveroran (nearly)

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Just one thing bothering me about your report polly33,in picture no 1 Garry seams to have a tree growing out of his head ,but in picture no 6 it"s gone,how can you manage to lose something that big in such a short time. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby warbietoo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:43 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Just one thing bothering me about your report polly33,in picture no 1 Garry seams to have a tree growing out of his head ,but in picture no 6 it"s gone,how can you manage to lose something that big in such a short time. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
warbietoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:49 am

Well some people like to stick a feather in their cap....my husband likes to go one better- he uses a tree!!

He's from Dennistoun- he can't help himself!!! :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland