walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day of mishaps

A day of mishaps

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 02/04/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1083m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather report had been poor for this weekend,but with alan s only having Saturday free there was no way we were not going out,this is where a cunning plan by stretch came in.Meet at Tiso in Perth 7.30am and then alan s will drive to where we intend to go.Mishap no 1/ exhust on Alans car is hanging off,text stretch can you drive if we can get to Perth text back OK.
Back to the plan drive up A9 and see how weather is on way up,if it"s poor cut off at Dalwinnie and drive round and climb Geal Charn,get to Dalwinnie and weather ok,so carry on and arrive at Auchlean 9.30 and walking by 10.10am,2nd part of plan now comes in to operation,low level walk along glen and climb Mullach 1st.Mishap no2/ sign post (bridge out over river feshie),so 2 swollen river crossings to make,never mind was the call it cant be that bad :wtf:
047.JPG
bloody hell
Mishap no 3/stretch with his long legs gets over nae bother,alan s being just a nipper gets over nae bother,me well lets just say I got rather wet :lol:
Never mind onwards and upwards the next crossing will be easier,and look on the bright side the weather is looking good,and set for the day.With good underfoot conditions good progress was made until we could hear this strange roaring noise in the distance,is it thunder,cant be a deer,dont see any planes overhead,no wind to speak off only thing it can be is
048.JPG
oh dear not again
049.JPG
here we go again
This time we walk up the river to find a suitable crossing but cant find any that look easy.Mishap no4/is now only round the corner,alan s goes first two fine leaps and across safe,next stretch,long legs again come in handy nae bother,do I need to explain what happened next(didnt think so) :lol: Once we were all across,some easier than others we take 5 min and have a wee breather
050.JPG
2 dry out of 3 aint bad
Luckily alan s had a spare pair of socks,so I blagged them did a quick change,and were soon on our way,with having walked up the river for a fair bit we did not want to walk all the way down the other side to meet back up with the path so we struck up through the forest nowing we could catch the path further up.after 10/15 min walk through the trees we could see a clearing and the open hillside just in front,the sun was now out,and it was time to shed some clothes.Mishap no 5/ on the way,out of the tree line now and climbing up steep heather covered slopes,we had been going for 15/20 min when alan s said :wtf: your no going to belive what I"ve done,the satmap is still lying on the ground where we took time out to change.Never seen anybody drop their bag so quick and run down a hillside in all my life,stretch and me don"t know what to think or say,so we don"t say anything just watch our mate run.stumble,trip his way back into the forest,after 15 min we hear a shout (GOT IT)once we see Alan emerge from the trees me and stretch carry up on our way knowing Alan will catch up soon.
After 35/40 min of fairly hard and steep climbing stretch and I find the path onto Mullach and wait for Alan.Mishap no 6/coming up,after what seams an age Alan appears over the rise looking a wee bit miffed to say the least,and say"s your not going to belive this,I got back to my bag,put my pole down to put my bag on and walked away and left my pole at my arse and had to go back and get it :lol:
052.JPG
alan,satmap,pole arrive safe
OK lets settle down now and follow the path onto Mullach all our bad luck will be behind us and the weather is looking up
051.JPG
looking down to river feshie
053.JPG
into the corrie
The walk now is easy going and in no time we reach the first summit of the day Mullach Clach a" Bhlair
057.JPG
Mullachs wee cairn
060.JPG
gammy at summit
058.JPG
stretch and alan s at summit
All this walking with wet boots has made my feet freezing and even though Alan gave me his spare socks to wear,with my boots wet this pair of socks are now soaking,so off come the socks,give them a good wringing out and get on our way.
Now comes mishap no 7/Alan"s satmap packs in on us,luckily we still have stretch with his gps,and we have map and compass.It"s a long trek across to Sgor Gaoith all 7k,and this gives me time to come up with a plan to try and dry out at least one pair of socks,why not use our walking clothes pole
062.JPG
walking clothes pole
:lol: :lol: Next up comes the top of Carn Ban Mor and plan no 3 now comes into action,we can drop off and leave Sgor Gaoith for another time or carry on,easy one to make weather still good so on we go and in jig time make Sgor Gaoith
067.JPG
gammy and summit
The weather had closed in as we neared the top and we were only going to touch the cairn and head for home,but the mountain gods had smiled on us at last and the views opened up around
063.JPG
Loch Einich 600 meters below
065.JPG
Loch Einich a long way down
066.JPG
nice looking cornice
064.JPG
stretch and alan s
All that was left now was the walk back over to Carn Ban Mor,and the path back down to Auchlean and the car home,hope you enjoy my tale of mishaps as much as we did over a cold pint later on
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by gammy leg walker on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: A day of mishaps

Postby pigeon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Ha ha,great report gammy ,at least you were rewarded with great views on Sgor Gaoith .Need to remember the walking clothes pole technique :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby sketch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Nice report and some great photos, looks like a great day I will be glad when I get back fit, at the moment I will have to live with some low level stuff just now
sketch
Mountaineer

Munros:19   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2

Postby CheeseHat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Nice report. Sounds like an eventful day. The views down to the Loch and over to Braeriach from Sgor Gaoith's summit are breathtaking aren't they? Did the walking clothes poles work? :lol:

This exact walk was my first taste of the Cairngorms in July '09 - although the old bridge in Glen Feshie was still there at that time. We had barely started walking when a Golden Eagle flew over and circled us for a minute. Then I stopped to look 'into the corrie', as per your photo, and wait for my companions to catch-up, when 3 RAF fighter jets came flying through the glen, a few hundred feet below us. Needless to say, I hadn't even reached my first Cairngorms summit and I was madly in love with the place.
CheeseHat
Hill Bagger

Munros:170   Corbetts:42
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kinley » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Looks rather damp. No...very damp.

Glad we stuck to Angus :lol:

Still - sounds like fun was had. 8)
kinley

Postby Alan S » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Good report mate, Some smashing pics 8)
Really enjoyed my day (and night as it turned out) :D
You forgot the last mishap, How slow the staff at the McDonalds in Perth were, That was a tense 5 mins waiting on those big macs, I thought the big man was going to start a riot, They should have realised not to annoy a hungry American :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Fantastic report Gammy, fantastic pics too, lets hope that such a run of bad luck has emptied the tank for a while at least, and its all good for the next few weeks :D

I feel shame for laughing at your misfortune, but I console myself with the thought that you wanted me too :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Almost makes me glad I'm grounded! :lol: A cracking yarn Gammy. Well done. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:36 am

Hi m8,best report yet had me laughing all way down well done on another 2 in the bag
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alastair S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 am

And I'm doing the Forcan Ridge with this lot next month :roll: :x :think: :lol: :lol:

Great report though 8) Great view of Loch Einich & still lots of snow on the plateau. Not surprised about the rivers - had lots of rain on Saturday morning + snow melt still on. The Dee through Banchory was really high on Sunday.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby yokehead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 am

Hilarious stuff, a wonderful report all round. :D

Sounds like y'all had a great day out despite the mishaps! :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 am

Somehow I lucked out on all the mishaps and didn't have very many of my own, but I enjoyed a few laughs at their expense :lol: Nice write up Gammy, you know it was all worth it in the end! I'll try to add my own report with the comical video soon, prepare for more laughs.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jockstar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Great report, Gammy and full marks for carrying on after all the soaking that you guys got. I was so glad that we
decided to do Mount Keen instead :D . looked wild at the top...but well done on completing the walk. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Great report Gammy, brings back very fond memories of Sgor Gaoith and Glen Feshie. Luckily for us we had to cross those torrents on the home leg rather than at the outset or I may not have been such a happy camper!
Well done for persevering all three of you and love the tip re getting socks dry. As for your other mishaps, that frankly sounds like my average outing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby mband » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Great report :lol: :lol: :lol:
Though I guess at the time the maybe not so funny for those with wet feet!
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland