walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What does Spotty eat?

What does Spotty eat?

Postby Pastychomper » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm

Date walked: 01/05/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 450m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday afternoon was clear, both in the sky and the calendar, so I decided to finally visit the little lumps to the east of Beinn Stumanadh, which go by the names Meall an Spothaidh, Meall a' Bhreac-leathaid and Meall Meadhonach. These are small hills with a long approach from any direction.

I arrived at the Beinn Stumanadh layby around 13:25 and set off along the track towards the bothy. There were a few sheep on the slopes.
20210501_133158.jpg
Stumanadh from the bridge
20210501_135406.jpg
Achnanclach

Past the bothy the track turned right and I went straight on over some soft, tussocky moss with occasional flowers and bumblebees. And toadstools.
20210501_144248-detail.jpg
Eventually I rounded the end of Borgie Forest and came in sight of Meall an Spothaidh.
20210501_145031.jpg
Meall an Spothaidh beyond the shoulder of Creag Dubh
Not being entirely up on Gaelic pronunciation, I'd started to think of it as Meal and Spotty, and was wondering what Superted's faithful companion used to eat. Maybe that currant-studded dessert that my local inn used to call Richard's Pudding? :think:
20210501_152729-detail.jpg
The Three Amigos

The OS maps have a souterrain marked near here so I detoured for a look. I'd read that a souterrain is an ancient underground room, and that there is a well-preserved and open one near Borgie. A quick check told me that the same structure is described on several different websites with at least two different grid references, neither of which matched the one one on the map, but I went down on the off-chance and looked at several likely-looking boulders in a field. There were no obvious entrances.
20210501_155718.jpg
Remains of walls?
20210501_161232.jpg
Spothaidh from the field

Back on the ridge I visited several craggy little tops, admiring the views and enjoying the height and seclusion.
20210501_164626.jpg
Loch nam Breac
20210501_164624.jpg
More of Spotty
20210501_165335.jpg
The landscape formerly known as Borgie Forest

I'd planned to retrace my steps, but where was the fun in that? Beinn Stumanadh beckoned.

I headed for what I thought was the main ridge, but turned out to be an extra hillock between the two, and eventually found the way around the south side of Stumanadh's peak. An easy walk and slide followed back to the Achnanclach track.

The first part of the track was recorded, the rest is an estimate/guess - there are a lot of bumps east of Spothaidh.

Spotty 1 May 1325 edited.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland