walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Am Faochagach, from the Dirrie Mor.

Am Faochagach, from the Dirrie Mor.

Postby JimboJim » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 pm

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 05/09/2021

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 14.1 km

Ascent: 700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been hoping I might tag this one onto an overnighter, or two, but didn't work out that way. It's a long drive for one, but just about on the radar for Me n Jaf. With the mild Aug/Sept, we felt it worth the effort, if it made bogs and river crossing not too unpleasant, despite the deteriorating looking forecast.
Am Faochagach (1).JPG
Jaf, heading in. Not looking hopeful for clear views.

Probably about 4 hours for the trip up, with little space in the car park, so made do with the verge. The track in was pretty dry aside from the worst spots which were virtually no bother. Eyed up rocky spot to cross river, but path seemed to continue, so we continued :) Looked at couple of other spots, then found ourselves virtually at the outflow of the loch. Fortunately it was crossable here.... but, only just :) I'd think normally it wouldn't be the preferred option.
Am Faochagach (2).JPG
"The Abhainn a'Ghrabainn is a substantial watercourse and can be a formidable obstacle - when in spate conditions it is quite impassable." You're not kidding. I think we went too far upstream really, but were able to cross here ..... just!

We soon got back on track, heading up to the bealach, closely pursued by another fella, who joined us for a short while as things levelled off. Unfortunately, most of surrounding hills shrouded in cloud and visibility poor, but at least rain held off, as we made good progress toward the final boulder, ascent.
Am Faochagach (3).JPG
Looking down on Loch a'Ghrabainn, over to the Fannich's.
Am Faochagach (4).JPG
Grey pano from Beinn Dearg round to the Eastern Fannich's.

Had a wee break at flat summit, to size up the surrounding hills, have a refreshment and photo or, two though it was very grey all round. Then down we went. Met plenty folk heading up/down, perhaps all with the idea of keeping the feet dry, or not bothering to observe the Sabbath :D
Am Faochagach (5).JPG
Jasper on the summit, which as you can see, is indeed "domed."
Am Faochagach (6).JPG
Lads on the summit. Alas, Lawrence had to call off this trip.
Am Faochagach (7).JPG
Big Jesper, coach and mentor!
Am Faochagach (8).JPG
Another one in the bag for Jimbo.
Am Faochagach (8a).jpg
Summit selfie. No' much else to see :)
Am Faochagach (9).JPG
Just about able to make out Coire Ghrunnda, on descent.
Am Faochagach (10).JPG
Look back to the summit, as it begins to clear a little.
Am Faochagach (11).JPG
Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall, with Meall nan Ceapraichean, poking through in the middle.
Am Faochagach (12).JPG
The plod back down.
Am Faochagach (13).JPG
Easier to cross this bouldery stretch, while water not running fast.

This time we went other side of hillock, which took us to crossing much lower downstream. We branched off left, on more direct line towards path in, but I reckon this might have been wrong option again, as we had to do more bog hopping and had no path once we crossed, over the rough going, till we finally joined the main path and back to the car, just under the three and a half hours and hardly a splash on the boots :)
Am Faochagach (14).JPG
View down Loch Glascarnoch.
Am Faochagach (15).JPG
Time for a wee birl east, for a glimpse of The Forge, An Teallach.
Am Faochagach (16).JPG
An Teallach.
Am Faochagach (18).jpg
A nice wee reward from Big Jesper, to finish the day off ....... or, perhaps just a lesson in biology 😃

Time for a quick look at An Teallach before the long drive home, which was sweetened by a wee refreshment from Charles, to round the day off nicely.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Am Faochagach, from the Dirrie Mor.

Postby Wanderlust7 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:33 pm

Well done guys, a long trip for that hill, at least you didn't need to get the speedo's out. Phew!
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:57 am

Yup, definitely a good one to tag on to an overnighter or join on to a longer trip with the other local hills. Good to see the water crossing wasn't problematic - can remember having to remove my boots, socks and trousers to cross the river - fortunately there was no one else around at the time.... :roll:
Not many to go now including a couple of excellent groups, Fisherfield and Knoydart - hope you have good conditions when you get to the them - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JimboJim » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Wanderlust7 wrote:Well done guys, a long trip for that hill, at least you didn't need to get the speedo's out. Phew!

Nothing wrong with my Speedo's! I can't possibly comment on contents, mind you :lol: Enjoyable day and good to miss the aquatics.

rockhopper wrote:Yup, definitely a good one to tag on to an overnighter or join on to a longer trip with the other local hills. Good to see the water crossing wasn't problematic - can remember having to remove my boots, socks and trousers to cross the river - fortunately there was no one else around at the time.... :roll:
Not many to go now including a couple of excellent groups, Fisherfield and Knoydart - hope you have good conditions when you get to the them - cheers :)

Thanks, Rock hopping one. Every day out has its challenges, something which makes each hill unique, sometimes more, sometimes less, but even Am F, was enjoyable to me, despite its detractors. Aye, am looking forward to some grand days to come. If anyone wishes to hold my hand, they'd be welcome :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland